___ O2 sensors have to be 'scoped'

A bad O2 sensor will not necessarily set off a CEL on a Honda, but it can be sluggish and waste fuel / performance.

I checked the part numbers for my CR-V on this site:

Since the first and second O2 sensor for a '00 CR-V use the same universal number, You can buy the first sensor (which is WAY cheaper than the second sensor) and chop the connectors off your old one. Well under $100 CAN.

For hondas over 100,000 miles, an O2 sensor change might be a good idea. Search back a few days to see this post about __'Revitalizing' Oxygen Sensors ? ?__ if that interests you. google.com has hundreds of good sites about O2 sensor troubleshooting . . . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

In an OBDII system the O2 sensor will turn on the CEL long before it drops fuel economy. Heater current, voltage, switching times and switching voltage are all monitored to close tolerance as dictated by EPA standards. All of these can also be seen and monitored on an OBDII tester. If you are replacing these just because you think you should you are wasting your money.

Reply to
Woody

This sounds like another "religious war" in the making. However, my understanding is that the front O2 sensor is given a lot of latitude, while the second O2 sensor actually monitors catalyst operation. There are enough anecdotal reports here by people I respect to suggest drivability does indeed suffer before the MIL lights, although the economy aspect is less certain. In the alt.autos.volvo forum a couple visitors have reported bringing their sagging fuel economy back in line by replacing O2 sensors, but some of those may be OBDI cars and none of them have been regular contributors.

Anybody have a link to OBDII specs?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

---------------------------------

I meant what I said in the subject line . . . They have to be 'scoped'. OBDII can't be trusted to catch a sensor that's just running SLOW. A digital multimeter won't show that at all. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a penny pincher. If anything, I'd use the BOIL IT IN LIME-AWAY cure before I'd BUY a new O2 sensor, but I'll be scoping it all before and after.

I passed on a good link and a very attractive price for those who might not have the time and just want to save a bunch of cash on a new NTK O2 sensor.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:uredne8HzZduH6TZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

The secondary sensor is also used by the ECM for fine-tuning fuel trim within a few percentage points, just enough to help keep the MIL from illuminating with a P0420.

What kinda "specs"?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Just fishing here, but where's a good place to pick up a scope for not-too- much money?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Garage sale last summer. :-) :-) :-) Dual-Trace Tektronix 10 Mhz for $15 (it's 30 years old)

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97A1CF22FDD4Dtegger@207.14.113.17:

What's "too much money"? Ebay would be my 1st choice. I'd look for an LCD scope for automotive applications. Tektronix (#1 scope maker)used to make one,5Mhz bandwidth,handheld,THM- something was the model,also sold under a automotive tool makers badge. (sorry,I'm too feeble to recall the exact company) ;-)

I'll try to look into it further;if I find something,I'll post it here.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns97A1D2ACF6A7Cjyanikkuanet@129.250.170.85:

I see five of them on eBay right now, ranging from $50 to $300.

Don't know anything about scopes, so I think I'd have to do some larnin' afore I buys one.

Any advice would be nice.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97A1DF09467A2tegger@207.14.113.17:

For an AC-mains powered scope,a TEK 2213,2215,or "A" versions are good TEK scopes.~$100-250 The TEK TDS210,TDS 220 are nice LCD digital bench scopes(AC line powered).originally cost $1000,should go for $200-300 IMO. They will be more in demand,though.(newer) They should run off a 100W pseudo-sine wave inverter,too.

A TEK T-922,T-932,or T-935 would be a good low-cost(no more than$100)AC line-powered scope.

you'll need a 10x probe with them,and have to back-pin the connectors.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97A1DF09467A2tegger@207.14.113.17:

this is what you really want,if you can find one;

Sorry for the wrap-around.You can search for THM-560,that's the model number.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97A1DF09467A2tegger@207.14.113.17:

Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns97A1E2D14D9C0jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

Fluke makes some OK handheld scopes,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik