life expectancy of O2 sensors question

I've got a 1990 ford ranger, with 2.9 liter EFI package.

About three years ago, I had to replace the O2 sensor after, well, it 'died'. Symptoms had been loss of power, bucking at highway speeds (on a flat stretch, having to down shift to maintain speed), and loss of gas mileage.

Now I've got a sixty mile commute, and there seems to be one stretch on the way up in the after noon (I work nights) where I seem to have to shift down (fifth to fourth) to 'clear' the bucking, and then I can shift back up to 5th. So I'm suspecting the O2 sensor (again) but does anyone have any idea how long those are suppose to last. Its been about 3 years and 50,00 miles if that is any help.

thanks in advance for any help.

peter

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I think 30,000 miles is a good number. They can go bad sooner if contaminated with too much raw fuel, coolant, or even excessive oil consumption. I would expect a code to be set when it's not working.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I have a car with 140,000 miles on it and only changed the O2 sensor once at about 100,000 after I didn't make it through the emission test. Car didn't seem to run any different when it was good or bad.

Ron

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Reply to
Ron
60k

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I just changed the original ones on my BMW at 191K. I think it varies widely.

Reply to
JimV

"" wrote: > I have a car with 140,000 miles on it and only changed the O2 > sensor > once at about 100,000 after I didn't make it through the > emission test. > Car didn't seem to run any different when it was good or > bad. > > Ron > > > > pyotr filipivich wrote: > > I've got a 1990 ford ranger, with 2.9 liter EFI package. > > > > About three years ago, I had to replace the O2 sensor after, > well, it > > 'died'. Symptoms had been loss of power, bucking at highway > speeds (on a > > flat stretch, having to down shift to maintain speed), and > loss of gas > > mileage. > > > > Now I've got a sixty mile commute, and there seems to be > one stretch on > > the way up in the after noon (I work nights) where I seem to > have to shift > > down (fifth to fourth) to 'clear' the bucking, and then I > can shift back up > > to 5th. > > So I'm suspecting the O2 sensor (again) but does anyone > have any idea > > how long those are suppose to last. Its been about 3 years > and 50,00 miles > > if that is any help. > > > > thanks in advance for any help. > > > > peter > >

I had one good 220k on original one and it passed Echeck everytime. Another one with 173K still original and it pass echeck and get great MPG for its type. I would think about 100k miles is more the expected norm here. How you drive has a effect on it to. If it is pedal to the metal all the time they may live a shorter life. ALso if you chop your exhaust system up you can shorten their life too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Let the record show that "Al Bundy" snipped-for-privacy@mcpmail.com wrote back on 3 Aug 2005 14:51:58 -0700 in alt.trucks.ford :

That last might be the issue. I don't have to change the oil every

3000 miles, just topping it up regularly does that....

Bar Code - I was afraid of that.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich