PCV and Oil

Hi

I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX and the engine seems to burn way too much oil. I suspect that one of the "rings" may be shot. However, someone told me that the "PCV" value can also cause oil to be "burned".

Can anyone confirm this?

I was thinking of changing the valve, way easier than changing a piston ring. :-)

The only problem is that the amount of oil being burned is way to high for the PCV to be the cause, in my opinion.

The car burns about 2 liters per oil change cycle.

Thank you in advance. Frank

Reply to
http://www.ClubPlug.net - Your

"

-> Hi

A malfunctioning PCV valve can cause oil loss, but not by burning. Reports are that they fail shut or get plugged, causing pressure to build in the oil crankcase, causing pressure to build and various oil seals to fail, leaking oil. So you want to check the lower exterior of your engine and see if it's more oil covered than usual. Do you have spots on your garage floor?

Other seals may be failing too. E.g. the valve cover gasket, or the gaskets in the spark plug tubes.

If this is the original PCV valve, I would either (1) clean with carb cleaner (which typically says on the can it's also for PCV system cleaning; or (2) just replace it. There are some checks you can do to see if it's working, too.

Yes, this sounds like a lot. Eliminate all the possibilities listed above first.

How many miles on your car?

Reply to
Elle

Hi Elle

The car has about 160 000 km or 100 000 miles.

I will check the engine again to see if there is any heavy oil deposit. As for the garage floor, the answer is "No Spots" on the floor.

The problem with changing the PCV valve is getting to it, Honda surely did not make it easy to change a small valve. I think the valve is underneath and behind the engine. Geez... :-(

Thank you in advance. Frank

Reply to
http://www.ClubPlug.net - Your

"

- Your Source for Online Spark Plug Cross Reference Catalogs!" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

What is the duration of the "oil change cycle"? How many miles in between changes?

Reply to
Tegger

Hi Tegger

I usually change the oil every 3000-3500 mile intervals.

Thanks Frank

Reply to
http://www.ClubPlug.net - Your

"

->> > Hi

Not sure if you found it yet. If not, here are drawings of where it should be, plus instructions for checking the valve in place:

On some Hondas, it is easy to get to. On others I have read, as you indicate, that one has to get at it from underneath.

Have you looked at your exhaust fume's color? Blue-ish suggests oil is being burned, and so the PCV valve is not the problem.

Reply to
Elle

How many miles on the car?

Reply to
Tegger

not true. a faulty pcv can cause huge oil consumption. especially on a worn engine with heavy blow-by.

pcv valves fail both ways - stuck open or stuck closed. stuck closed causes excess crank case pressure and subsequent oil leakage. stuck open causes too low crank case pressure and excess oil consumption.

Reply to
jim beam

- Your Source for Online Spark Plug Cross Reference Catalogs! wrote:> Hi

change the pcv and check the connecting hoses. if that doesn't work, look for other problems. a blown ring may be the cause. should be evident by one plug showing greater degree of deposits or even oil fouling.

Reply to
jim beam