oil consumption

has anyone had a problem with oil consumption ? I have a 99 2.3 The oil is not leaking I go through 3 qts every 3000 miles

1999 Honda Accord
Reply to
antman21043

That must be quite the smoke screen you're travelling ahead of on the roads. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

antman21043 wrote in news:990655_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

If there's no sign of oil leakage on the road, then you're burning it up. Your rings and/or bearings are worn.

Smoke will not issue from the tailpipe until consumption is about 200 miles per quart; the cat will soak it all up.

Reply to
Tegger

How would worn bearings cause oil consumption, if there is not leaking?

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

It contributes.

Worn bearings = lower oil pressure which = less lubrication in critical areas which compounds overall wear in the engine.

Simple cause and effect...

JT

TomP wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

usually the other way around - if the bearings are worn, the rest of it is already shot to blazes. it's rings, excess blow-by vapor [itself a function of rings], pcv valves and possibly valve guide seals that cause most oil burn.

Reply to
jim beam

TomP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com:

Worn main/connecting rod bearings cause excessive oil "throwoff". The rings can't cope with the volume, so a lot gets by them.

Reply to
Tegger

no smoke i do not see it burning oil any where

Reply to
antman21043

As TeGGeR says, the cat will burn off an amazing amount of oil smoke before it becomes visible.

Sad to say, the few times oil consumption like that has been tracked down on late model Hondas (some under warranty) I believe it has been broken rings and was only found on teardown.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee