Question about muffler pipe

I own a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.). I have a Chilton's Repair Manual related to my car and I saw a picture on page 8-5 that was really confusing to me. The muffler pipe has a connector on it. It has a section of pipe that runs off of the main pipe and appears to be running upward into the interior of the vehicle. Could someone please tell me the purpose of the pipe that is running from the main pipe in an upward direction towards the interior of the vehicle?

Reply to
Jason

Show us.

Steve Bigelow