R12 to R134 Conversion

Has anyone had success with one of those $40 kits to convert from R12 to R134 on Acuras ('91 Integra) or Hondas if they use a similar system? My AC has slowly faded so that now it doesn't cool at all.

I used one of those kits to do the conversion on a '79 Toyota Cressida and it worked fine, but I don't know if the success varies depending on the system being converted.

I certainly don't need the AC now, but I'm also wondering if it would be better to restore it to operation now rather than leave it as is for the winter.

Thanks.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

do not shop for auto parts at stores that sell underwear and import everything from china

Reply to
I'm Right

Going to 134 with existing components is a waste of time and money. If your 12 system leaked down, then you have to find out why before you do anything anyhow. When you do, fix it and refill it with Freeze-12 and you'll be a happy camper.

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

"Art M" wrote in news:JzQ2f.12610$U%5.6416@lakeread05:

Your car had R12 from new. If you're in the US, you can still have your system recharged with the good stuff (once they find and fix any leaks that might exist). If you're in Canada, you're SOL.

Just because your system has faded does not mean you've got a detectable leak. 15 years is a long time for AC systems to stay 100% air-tight.

Apparently there is a new substance called Duracool that is better for older systems than R-134A conversions. It can even seal some small leaks.

They guarantee in writing that no part of your system will be harmed by the stuff. This outfit got a write-up in the Toronto Star Wheels section on Saturday.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Yebbut - In the US, Freon is now something like $50/lb.

I have fixed and converted two old cars' AC systems to R134a at a total cost of about $250 each. I figured that each of them only had to blow a seal once after conversion, and I'd be ahead in the game, not having to spend *another* $150 to $200 on more Freon.

I agree though that even in those old cars with 'instant on' compressors, Freon gets icy cold a lot quicker than R134 does.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Reply to
Howard

-------------snip---------

Sounds like it is better, but I just came across this that says it's illegal (to use flammable refrigerants in a car) in my state:

(acceptable according to EPA site
but does not necessarily mean that the refrigerants on the list work well)

--Art

Reply to
Art M

"Art M" wrote in news:GAd3f.12662$U%5.4880@lakeread05:

illegal (to use flammable refrigerants in a car) in my state:

Flammable refrigerants = hydrocarbons.

Duracool is a refined version of propane (also a HC refrigerant), and even smells the same as that.

Your allusion to HC refrigerants prodded my memory, and I found this in a Google Groups search:

Pay particular attention to the part where Daniel J. Stern gets involved.

Maybe Duracool is not such a good thing.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I haven't made a decission yet, but I was in PepBoys today so I thought I'd check out their kit. Nothing on the floor so I ask an employee. He has no idea what I'm talking about so he attempts to look it up on the computer, but he can't find it there. I ask him if he knows where any little cans that read "R134a" are. That worked. They are practically right behind him on an endcap behind the counter. I see the kit so I tell him "there it is on the right" (we're both facing the endcap), but he looks more towards the left. I correct him, "on the right". He moves further left. Obviously I had made the mistake of not telling him it was on his other right. From there it was almost a game of warmer/colder.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

"Art M" wrote in news:B7e5f.55793$WR2.2368@fed1read03:

He was employed by PepBoys. That should have told you something right there. $7 per hour. He's clueless and uninterested. Part-time job for him.

Did you notice the "L" and "R" chalked on his shoes?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

LOL! But in fairness, I've met a few interested PB employees...

Oh GAWD, I just admitted I've been PB's.

Reply to
Doug McCrary