AC conversion Question

Two weeks ago the evaporator core on my '86 Toyota p/u needed replacement. When I went to pick it up, I was told that they had converted the system from R12 to R134 (evacuated and then refilled the lines and used a retrofit kit) without bothering to ask me if I wanted that done.

After that the a/c was emitting only cool air, where it had previously been cold with the R12.

I returned to the shop, where they converted it back to the R12. But the air, although colder than it was with the R134, was still not as cold as it was prior to the conversion/reconversion, and now blows warm air at idle and slow speeds. (btw the drier was not replaced for either conversion.)

I again returned to the shop, where they told me this time that I needed a new condenser ( a $350 job). Could anyone tell me if the damage could have been caused by the conversion/reconversion?

Thanks :) Sue

Reply to
Sue

That's not good...

That's predictable...

That's also not good...

That's really *BAD*. Sounds like the shop you used does slipshod work.

You need a new shop.

Well, the system is now almost certainly contaminated in at least one of several different ways:

-Water in system: Definitely there. The drier must be replaced EACH AND EVERY time the system is opened.

-Desiccant and other flotsam in system: Possible. R12 driers are not compatible with R134a.

-Oil cross-contamination byproducts: Likely. R12 oil is not compatible with R134a oil, and this casual back-and-forth "converting" they're doing means you've got a mix (or maybe they didn't even bother putting in the right oil for R134a when they "converted" it.)

-Air and other noncondensibles in system: Likely, given the careless nature of the rest of their work.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
<rusto11

Thank you for the educated opinions! I brought it back to that shop again and they kept it for 3 days. When I picked it up yesterday I noticed that they had finally replaced the drier, but still no cold air.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Sue