Re: Why does the auto industry turn out such crap??

The Japanese government has been subsidizing ALL of it manufacturers, ever since the end of WWII, get real.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

IIRC, that was at the behest of Shogun MacArthur, who was running the place at the time. They wanted Japan up and running as a functioning country again ASAP, to use as a counterweight against the Russians. If the US hadn't propped up occupied Japan, the Russians would have, and that simply would not do. Rather than start from scratch, General Doug simply co-opted the organizations and CEOs that were already in place supporting the war effort. Same reason he left the Emperor in place, to keep the general population from freaking. All this was in spite of a lot of public sentiment back home to deindustrialize Japan and leave them with nothing but farming and fishing. (Not to mention the ones that wanted to lay waste to the whole country, just on general principals. It wasn't like Europe, where most of the rich and powerful people could trace their ancestry to.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

And this is different from the US automakers... how?

Reply to
nocarsaregoodcars