The Call of the Civic - 2006 Version

Due a smart move by my wife many moons ago, we live in a house by a lake well populated by Great Blue Herons and graceful White Herons. Beautiful birds, but their call resembles that of a crow being strangled. In my garage resides 2006 LX Civic sedan. Beautiful bird, same dismal call. In looking around the www, I could only find one alternate horn, here:

I have no idea what it sounds like.So, has anyone ever installed one of these, or some other alternativeto replace the horn provided. Any thoughts, input would help.Now, a quick look at the car makes it look like getting at the horncould be a real problem. I would look in my Service Manual, but Helmdoesn't have them, because Honda hasn't provided them, and HondaCustomer Service says they have no information on when the manual willbe available. So, has anyone been into that portion of the car. Ifit will take major surgery, it may not be worth it.Pity. Such a great car; such a crappy horn Roy

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Hello SuperTone

Roy Starr> Due a smart move by my wife many moons ago, we live in a house by a

Reply to
ishmale

...but he meant to write: Hella SuperTone

Reply to
ishmale

Hahaha, I love it :)

Any decent auto-parts store should have a wide range of replacement horns, including air horns - Schucks, Pep Boys, NAPA, Lordco, Canadian Tire... whatever is "native" to your area. Or go to a wrecker and pull a set of horns out of an old '64 Dodge or something. They're a pretty simple device - ground one side, apply power to the other side, and clean out the earwax. Just about any horn from any car should work (at worst you may need to add a relay), so find something that you like the sound of, and plop it in there. I got a little $30 set of air horns from a liquidation store for my '87 Accord and they're GREAT!

Sample link:

Matt Ion

Hey, this is pretty clever spam! TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Being somewhat of a mechanical misfit, I guess I was looking for a simple plug-in-a-different one approach. Looking at where the horn is, I guess I'll leave my reverse engineering until the warranty dies and I have no qualms about taking things apart. But thanks to all.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:46:19 GMT, "Tom Levigne" regurgitated:

Buzz off. I recognized when I wrote this that someone would undoubtedly say that my request is/was actually spam. My trust in human nature has not gone unrewarded. You missed the part where I castigated Honda and Helm for their inability to put a Service Manual on the street You want spam; here's spam.

Roy Starrin National/International News Editor VirginiaNewsSource.com

Reply to
Roy Starrin

I am considering replacing the horn on my Civic Si as well. The little girly horn just annoys me.

I can't imagine it voiding warranty unless the horn stop working... ;-)

The toughest part is finding a replacement horn with decent sound that will fit in where the current one is, or finding a suitable location and running wires...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:31:09 -0400, Joe LaVigne furthered the discussion:

Tha't my problem. I'm not worried about voiding the warranty too much, unless I would have to take off half the front end to get to the site for it, or if they would contend that it would void the warranty for the enire electrical system. Running "extra" wiring and/or installing a different horn would certainly void whatever warranty there is for the affected equipment, but would be worth it if I useable horn with a suitable voice could be installed. I may wander by my local service Dept and see what it would cost, if I provided the horn. Certainly they can dig that out of their time/rate software.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

I don't see where simply adding a horn would void any warranty. With my airhorns, one wire off the relay connects to the battery, one to a ground, one to the horn compressor, and one to the factory horn wire. On my '87 Accord, I just drop a plastic panel ahead of the wheel well, pull the wire in, and ScotchLock it to the appropriate wire - no cutting required. The horns themselves mount in the space between the grille and the radiator. If it did become an issue, the whole thing could be removed with virtually no sign it had ever existed.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I am sure that if you want it done, they can come up with a way to charge you for it... ;-)

Reply to
Joe LaVigne