use honda coolant!

hi, this is in response to an earlier post from last year about water pump failure for a 2005 Honda Pilot (bought in Dec 2004). basically what happened was that when i bought the car, the coolant reservoir was empty and i filled it to the max with Peak 50/50 coolant (the green stuff). and shortly after that, there was a noise from the timing belt area that apparently the Honda mechanics could not hear until just now

-- a year after i first heard the noise. i took it in before the warranty expired (i''m at 35k) and they finally heard the noise and diagnosed it as a bad water pump and a bad tensioner. they replaced both under warranty. just letting you all know that you should use honda fluids only (except for the oil)...otherwise if i waited for the water pump to really fail, this would have cost me several hundred dollars.

the previous posts diagnosing my problem were right on the money! anyway, just sharing thanks for the help i got

-jonathan

Reply to
rocketj55

I disagree strongly. Ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol, and I've used a

50/50 mix of the cheapest antifreeze w/ water in both Hondas I've owned and retired without any water pump problems. The first lasted 355K and the second 346K miles before I retired them.
Reply to
Patrick

There was a time that was true, and it wasn't so long ago. Even 15 years ago most cars used plain ol' ethylene green ehtylene glycol antifreeze, although a few cars were beginning to use the weird red/orange/pink coolants. I was even considered odd because I used demineralized water instead of water from the garden hose to dilute antifreeze rather than tap water. Whatever additives they had just weren't a big deal.

Now the specialized coolants with specific additives are the norm. The unofficial Honda FAQ covers it fairly well at

and the other links from there. To tell the truth, I can't keep track of what will work where, so I go with the specified coolant from the dealer. I know it costs more than the exact same thing in an auto parts store, but I can be sure I'm not getting something that will damage the engine. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That was weird. Should'a proofread that at least a little bit!

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The timing belt tensioner and water pump failures have been a known problem for a few years. Both of the TSB's are here, on Tegger's site:

I don't think I'd buy a used HONDA if the reservoir was empty. What else did the owner neglect ? ? ?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_