07 Elantra SE Mileage

I've never even driven a Corolla...it was just a thought, but based on economy the Corolla wins hands down. Fact is, I am a Hyundai guy right now, I just wish i bought the Sonata...especially because I bought the Elantra with economy in mind.

*********
jtees4

I'm impressed. The wife has the 05 and you have the new car. Not happening in my family.

On the 07 I was unhappy with the mileage

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

i've havw 3. a 97 175,000 running strong. still averageing 34 mpg.

2 07's both averaging 32 or thereabouts. now i have gotten as low as 23 on the freeway at 70, and on the same trip as high as 40. i attributed the low to bad gas, and the high to a tail wind. i probably got closer 33 on that trip. both 07's have around 15-18,000 at the moment.

the critic

Reply to
the-critic

One thing no one has mentioned is whether their Elantras have automatic or manual transmissions. I have an 03 Elantra with a manual 5 speed - best mileage to date has been 34 and that tank included a little city driving.

Reply to
VicTek

The Corolla, not the new one, has a gas sipping low hp engine, and does indeed get impressive mileage. I've only driven one, a rental for a week, and the mileage was truly amazing, went forever on a tank, the needle moving slower than a snail. But it's going to be a couple/few thousand more than the Elantra, which won't ever be made up in the extra gas mileage.

My 06' Elantra gets 35+ on the highway, and an abysmal 20-21 in solid stop and go driving. Mixed is 27, about what most others get.

I've decided I shouldn't complain about the mileage any more, if I want a car that -in the city- gets -great-, not good, great mileage, a hybrid Civic or Prius is the only way to go. Then feel great about the mileage, and ignore the $$$$ extra.

Dang compromises!

Reply to
unkadunk