4 vs. 6 Cylinder Camry (2005)

Hello,

I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week.

I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with the test driving that I could do, very little difference in performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna.

Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get?

Thank you for your time.

Robert

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

If there is little difference in your mind then buy the 4 cylinder. It will be cheaper to maintain and easier to repair if you wish to work on it yourself. Even more important, it will cost less to purchase. However you may consider getting the upgraded alloy wheels rather than the smaller steel wheels. The overall handling will be slightly better in my opinion.

Reply to
badgolferman

If you frequently haul 3 or 4 folks in car and live in a hilly area then definately get the V6. Otherwize the 4 is better on gas, easier to maintain and probably a better resale way down the road.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I'd pick the six. Owning a 4 cyl, I've found times when it just doesn't cut it. On ramps to freeways with 4 people and stuff in the trunk. Up hills in the mountains.

Also, you'll note the resale value of a 6 is higher than that of a four.

If you can afford the additional cost, get the 6.

Reply to
gburnore

Or travel to a hilly area. Or live near a freeway ... ... ...

Blue Book even disagrees with you on that.

Reply to
gburnore

My 4-Cyl 05 Camry gets over 40 MPG on high way, around 35MPG over all with

20% local. I can drive close to 500 miles for each tank of gas. Very nice given current gas price. I use my Sienna to carry heavy load.
Reply to
XYZ ABC

Just curious, why would the 4 banger be better resale down the road?

Reply to
Josh

It would not. The V6 costs more to buy than the 4cy models. One of the problems in choosing a V6 Camry is pricing. To get one you generally need to buy 'more car,' you can't just 'add a V6' to most any model like Honda.

Unless you will be happy with a car that is slow to get going, and keep going on long grades when fully occupied, buy the V6 WBMA

mike hunt

Josh wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Robert D. Vanderslice II wrote: || Hello, || || I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. || || I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with || the test driving that I could do, very little difference in || performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna.

Very little difference in performance? You have GOT to be kidding. There's much more in the 6 cylinder package than just a larger motor: there's larger wheels and tires for one example. Heavier suspension. I bought a SIX cylinder 99 Camry--one of the best decisions in my 58 years on this planet.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

badgolferman wrote: || Robert D. Vanderslice II, 4/2/2005, 1:42:25 AM, wrote: || ||| Hello, ||| ||| I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. ||| ||| I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with ||| the test driving that I could do, very little difference in ||| performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna. ||| ||| Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get? ||| ||| Thank you for your time. ||| ||| Robert || || If there is little difference in your mind then buy the 4 cylinder. || It will be cheaper to maintain and easier to repair if you wish to || work on it yourself. Even more important, it will cost less to || purchase. However you may consider getting the upgraded alloy wheels || rather than the smaller steel wheels. The overall handling will be || slightly better in my opinion. ||

Why not get the LARGER steel wheels? Why should ALLOY wheels be any better than STEEL wheels...of the SAME size? The alloy ones are much softer and damage easier when hitting curbs..potholes etc... I know, maybe YOU never have that happen to you, but in the REAL world incidents occur.

|| -- || No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too || seriously.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

snipped-for-privacy@databasix.com wrote: || In alt.autos.toyota Robert D. Vanderslice II wrote: ||| Hello, || ||| I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. || ||| I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with ||| the test driving that I could do, very little difference in ||| performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna. || ||| Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get? || || I'd pick the six. Owning a 4 cyl, I've found times when it just || doesn't cut it. On ramps to freeways with 4 people and stuff in the || trunk. Up hills in the mountains. || || Also, you'll note the resale value of a 6 is higher than that of a || four. || || If you can afford the additional cost, get the 6.

One of the FEW occasions that I AGREE with Gary.

|| ===========================================================================

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

XYZ ABC wrote: || My 4-Cyl 05 Camry gets over 40 MPG on high way, around 35MPG over || all with 20% local. I can drive close to 500 miles for each tank of || gas. Very nice given current gas price. I use my Sienna to carry || heavy load.

You have paying thousands of dollars more every year, just to have that option. A whole lot of people rarely use both vehicles at the same time, i.e. families. We sold our second vehicle 6 years ago and have seldom had any conflict over usage that good PLANNING didn't solve.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

That is some real gas mileage , I don't even get close to that with my

96 Camry 2.2 with 110k. I've been getting 20 mpg locally and 27-28 highway. I bought the car used and thought it would do much better than that, but was very disappointed. I just completely rebuilt the engine.I'm real anxious to see what it does now. I'm in the process of putting the engine back in , so I'll probably start driving it Monday.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

It wouldn't. Never has. The 6's are built better. BTW, I put a set of 15" alloy wheels on her 4 cyl in place of the 14" crap and it's picked up a bit of gas mileage and the handling is better.

Performance isn't better though.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

I suspect , Since I am getting just under 500 miles a tankful, that I am getting close to that miileage also.

I am driving mostly city though. So there is definitely an advantage to the 4cyl in town. Mine has the alloy wheels also, but I can't imagine a performence/mileage difference because of that, that would make a noticeable increase in mileage. I checked mileagae last week (by the tankful ) and my 2000 got 478 miles before fill up. Proudly I state that. The funny thing is, I had a 97 LE before and got poor gas mileage in it, to the tune of about 390 miles per tankful..........constant.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You're certainly doing better than the mfrs stated MPG. Do both cars have the same size fuel tank ?

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Yes.................They look almost identical, and I thought I did fair with the first car..............fair was good at the time, but the 2000 model has been getting some awfully good mileage. I didn't expect nearly what this car gets. Not in a dream.

It took me a month to figure out the huge difference, because the two cars were so much alike. Same color, same engine, same interior, even same wheels and everything. Just Much better Gas mileage. ther is only one possibilty here, and that might be my wife putting extra gas in the car for some reason and not giving me receipts...........it is possible but so far unlikely. I guess I should ask her huh?

We've had the car about nine months so far and the mileage has been pretty consistent too. I have checked the tankful about five or six times. Randomly and all were way high.

Sometimes you get a good one I suppose. I'm just waiting to see what falls off first. (besides the crappy brake problem that it has, they work, just they make a lot of rumbling noise )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Last month, I drove a 4 cyl. Camry (2004) from Florida to Northern Ohio. Had no problem with speed and engine and got about 31 mpg. However, in the Virginia and W. Virginia mountains, on a windy day, I was being tossed around. Not to happy with the steering and handling of this car. Al

Reply to
Al

We recently rented a 2004 Camry LE 4-Cyl in New Mexico for a week. The = odometer showed just over 20,000 miles. We drove it primarily on the = highways and in the mountains. It ran so well that I popped the hood to = confirm it was a 4-Cyl. We drove 700 miles that week, and got 36 MPG. = Very impressive.

Earlier this week, I ordered a 2005 Camry XLE 4-Cyl with leather and = alloy wheels for under $22,000. I'll be selling my 6-Cyl 1995 Toyota = Avalon XLS. I don't believe I'll notice much of a drop off, based on = the driving I do. That said, if I carried a full load on a REGULAR = basis, or drove up long mountain grades on a REGULAR basis, I would opt = for a 6-Cyl. But I'll tell ya, we had all the power we needed, two = people driving through the mountains of New Mexico. =20

Reply to
Jim Jensen