2000 Elantra Door Chime & Taillight Problem...

Car is a 2000 Elantra with 60k .... yesterday the door chime refuses to stop dinging - stays chiming constantly....Then I notice the right taillight stays lit ALL the time, even when the car is off.....Daughter also said gauge lights not working.....Owners manual says the chime will sound when the taillights are left on, so that's a clue, but what is making only one taillight stay on ????

What I do Know --

Door switch seems to work...dome light goes on and off Brake switch seems OK.... All other functions seem normal, car runs, etc....

Has anyone ever seen this set of symptoms ????

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

OK, let's try this again.....I had inadvertently left the parking light switch on...which is why the right taillight was lit...and the front right too....however the left side is blowing fuses....

So here is what Ive got....

Left side parking lamps blowing fuse when turned on... Constant Door chiming chime.... No Dash gauge lights.....

WTF ???? Helpppp.....

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Time for basic electrical troubleshooting. Pull the front lamps and start working back, looking for shorts. Don't get too concerned for multiple symptoms just now. Automotive wiring does very mysterious things when it gets boogered. Your best indicator to work off of right now is the fact that you're blowing fuses. Find that short and I bet the other problems go away.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks Mike, for the words of encouragement, but the needle in a haystack scenario comes to mind.....

I did find a wiring diagram on a Hyundai site, and I can see that the left tail lamps, Dash cluster lamps, and the warning chimer all run off the same fuse so it would seem to all be related.....

Got me a batch of extra fuses and my multimeter, so I'm goin' in......

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Don't forget to come up for air.

The rheostat (dimmer switch) is a good place to start. If you unplug it and the problem still occurs, you've just eliminated many of the interior lamps.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the tip .....Now for the good and bad news ....

I poked and prodded for an hour or so....followed the wire harness as well as possible....grabbed and wiggled here and there....never really saw anything obvious....

Lo and Behold....I pop in a fresh fuse and all is back to normal...!!!

I hate it when THAT happens......of course I'm pleased it works again, but now it feels like a time bomb waiting to reoccur.... Dammit....?*%$%#@

Until the next gremlin then .....

Jeff

Reply to