2000 Sonata - fan squeal when AC on

I just started using my AC this year and noticed when I first start driving, the belts squeal quite loudly. I just had both belts replaced

4 months ago (this model uses two belts) and I wouldn't think I'd have squeal after only 4 months. The thing of it is that it goes away after driving for a couple of minutes and it happens most frequently in that time span when going from a stop.

Its embarrasing more than anything.

Before I bought the car I looked it up in the Lemonaid guide ( a used car buyers guide ) and it did mention that other owners complained of excess belt squeal in this model, but is there anything I can do to permenantely rid myself of this annoyance? There's no point in replacing the belts again as they are practically new.

Any tips or suggestions welcome. Thanks

Reply to
hickorysticks

I would first make sure they are tightened to the right specs and if that doesnt help/work I would take it back to where you had the belts replaced and complain to them, I would assume diferant type belts ( manufacturers ) will have differant affects as far as squeeling stretching ECT.

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

after awhile belts will tend to expand somewhat. even new ones. perhaps they did not tighten them up to specs. IMO-all you might need is to readjust the tension. it might just be the alternator belt, which hogs up more current when you turn on the a/c. thus creating more demand on the alternator.

Reply to
news

after awhile belts will tend to expand somewhat. even new ones. perhaps they did not tighten them up to specs. IMO-all you might need is to readjust the tension. it might just be the alternator belt, which hogs up more current when you turn on the a/c. thus creating more demand on the alternator.

Reply to
news

I had a similar problem when I had the accessory belts changed on my two

2000 Elantras. The belts that were used were a third party aftermarket belt. I had the service place get Hyundai belts from the Hyundai dealership and have no squeals since. The aftermarket belts must be slightly different since the replacement market tends to compromise on belt characteristics so they can be used (supposedly) on several different makes and models. Car mileage seems not to be a factor since the one 2000 had problems with squealing belt right after the first belt change. My sedan also had a problem with the previous and last belt change at 218000 miles.

Jim

Reply to
James Steiner