Peugeot 306 indicator relay ticking occasionally when indicators not on

Our 1998/S Peugeot 306 1.4l has another problem (yes, I save them up!)

Occasionally the indicator relay will start ticking at a high speed, often after the indicators are turned off, but sometimes completely randomly (possibly worse in hot weather, but maybe not always). From what I've seen, the indicators themselves are not operating when this happens, so its just an annoyance rather than a major problem.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I guess it may be a problem with the relay thing (or whatever they are these days). Are they easy to replace or have they done something stupid like making it an integral part of the speedo/indicators/dash-thingy?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Yes. Our old 306 indicators would intermittently go off on one - clicking away like mad but with no lights showing.

It's a separate relay found just underneath the steering wheel - a black one in the middle IIRC. Cost about £10 to replace at a motor factor.

Reply to
Grant

Excellent news - thanks for that.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Hi David

I've had my Peugeot 306 (diesel) for two years now and I had the same problem - I did the same as you I came here and asked the questions hoping for a solution but nothing developed. Mine was mainly in cold/damp/rainy weather so I assumed the vehicle must have some type of automatic wipers that detected the rain, the only problem there was the relay started ticking but the wipers didn't wipe. Anyway to cut the story short I took out all relays and cleaned the connectors, at first the relay only ticked every month then eventually the ticking stopped.

Bill

Reply to
Bill