Hey, did the Purge Valve problem cause the "large/small evaporative
control system leak" check engine light? I've had that occasionally,
but haven't gotten it checked out.
It's funny how some of the problems are the same! I've had two of your
issues; I wonder if the 3rd is the same?
On my 2001 elantra, between when I bought it at 68k and 105k now, I've
1) Power Door Locks don't work (I just replaced the fuse with a
slightly higher rated one; though after reading this I'll have to look
at the door harness corrosion thing)
2) Alarm sounds at random intervals - A switch on hood doesn't
register that the hood is closed, probably because the hood is a bit
bent there. I stuck a rubber stopper on the switch so that it will
close properly -- then again maybe that bent the hood
3) Check engine light re: Evaporative system, large leak
4) Silent computer error code: Transmission Position Sensor bad. I
bought a new one, but have been too lazy to put it on.
5) Coolant boiled over, from a faulty thermostat. This lead to:
6) Radiator Leak. Had to get that replaced.
7) Bad Transmission output sensor; I replaced that (an easy job,
8) Check engine light re: Evaporative system, small leak -- no doubt
the same thing as above, but again... too lazy to get it fixed
9) Check engine light re: Catalyst efficiency low; When I also got a
light about the O2 sensor being bad, I replaced that, which fixed this
10) Bad Transmission input speed sensor, replaced, also an easy job.
Then there's the newest issue: Sometimes the TCM sets a code that my
OBD-II reader can't read. Gonna have to get that checked out.
These are apart from the things that are probably blamable on my bad
A bent tie rod, axle, and other suspension components after driving up
a curb really badly (this was my first car ever, it took some abuse --
but fortunately never shared that abuse with other cars).
Tires that wore unevenly, and to the belt before I noticed, because of
said damage, that left the car out of alignment for almost a year.
And also apart from regular maintenance that I'm curious about -- I
had to replace the same headlight bulb twice in a row within a year.
And of course that mechanic that could have messed up my car by
putting Dexron fluid in my transmission.
But when I'm not working on it, I do like my car.