screwy lock on 98 TDI

My wife was impatiently yanking on the passenger side door of my TDI while I activated the door locks. The door came open she got in, we did our errands and came home.

The next day I activated the locks, and when I deactivated them later the knobs all came up and everything looked and sounded OK, but the passenger side front door wouldn't open. I manually pulled on the knob, but still it wouldn't open. I tried closing and opening the locks but nothing seemed to work. All the other doors were fine.

I finally got the door trim off (not easy when the door is locked shut!), peeled back the vapor barrier and flipped the latch to the lock. The door opened and I thought "OK, so the latch got flipped while she was janking on the door... no problem". I opened and closed the door a couple of times to make sure, and then started to put the trim back on when I decided to try the lock. Sure enough, the door wouldn't open again, so I went back in, pushed on the interior latch, and the door popped open.

Any guesses as to what's wrong? Do I need to replace the actuator? I haven't pulled it out since I only have enough time to work on the thing about once a month. I know that just because the knob goes up and down doesn't mean that it's connecting with the latch.

tia,

terry solomonson

Reply to
Terry Solomonson

fix the lock and then get a new wife........

Reply to
D. Dub