2002 Sonata A/C Problem

I have a 2002 Sonata with 75,00 miles on it. Yesterday I used the a/c with no problem. I then used the heater later that night. Now I can only get it to blow hot air. No matter what setting I use, hot air comes out of the vents. The compressor seems to be running and the lines coming from it are very cold. I think maybe the heater switch is stuck or something. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Duane

Reply to
duane.moseley

Sounds like the dampers that control air flow are not working. There is a "blend door" that may be sticking or the controls not working. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have cable-operated heater controls, you should check to make sure none of the cables have come detached from the heater box.

Reply to
hyundaitech

How do you know if you have the cable -operated heater controls?

Duane

Reply to
duane.moseley

You'll just need to stuff your head under the dash and look up at the heater box. If there are cables attaching to it from the heater control, you have cable-operated heater controls. Make sure the cam (the piece to which the cable attaches) is in place, the cable ring is attached, and the cable is clipped properly onto the heater box.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry. Responded to myself instead of you, Duane. See my response to myself above.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I looked underneath the dash and near the center there is a plate with a slot in it with a pin hanging down in one end of the slot. . When the car is on heat the pin is in one side of the slot. When I switch it to ac the plate moves about a half inch and the pin moves toward the other end of the slot. I am assuming that it should move all the way to the end of the slot to let ac air through. I tried to force it around but I can't get it to budge. I don't see any cables but it looks like some white gears on the other side of the plate that are controlling its movement. Not sure if I explained that well enough or not. Thanks for your help.

Duane

Reply to
duane.moseley

You're on the right track and you've found the right area if it moves when you change the temperature. If you don't see a cable, there may be an electric or a vacuum actuator there.

Reply to
hyundaitech