2005 Santa Fe Accelerator

My apologies if this is a re-hash of an existing topic, but I was unble to locate anything via a search of the group.

I just bought a '05 Santa Fe (unbeatable set of clearance rebates), new, and am so far happy with the vehicle, save for one annoyance. The accelerator pedal offers what I consider to be excessive physical resistance before giving way, making it being very difficult to smoothly accelerate from a dead stop. I'm wondering if:

1) This is common to all new '05 Santa Fes.

2) If so, is it something that will ease after break-in?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

I have also got myself a 05 Santy 3.5L v6 but even thought I don't find the pedal 'excessively resistant' but the pickup is. Invariably the car needs reving to 2.5-3K rpm before settling down to 2K rpm to take it from stationary to 30-40mph from stop . I have driven 3000 miles but the 'proverbial' break-in hasnt't happened.

anyone can help?

Reply to
Fe Rider

What engine do you have?

Reply to
hyundaitech

I replied to this 2 days ago from another account, but for some reason the post never showed up here. In any event, I have the 3.5L.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Also, after my first tank of gas, and mostly highway driving, I'm getting 16.7 mpg. The much heavier, 10 year-old 4.0L Ford Explorer my Santa Fe replaced was giving me just over 17 mpg with the same driving. Someone please tell me that this is going to improve after break-in.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

I have a 2004 3.5L 4WD. Im getting 25mpg. All hwy.

Cathy Diamond Bell, AZ

Reply to
katrinaxx

I've got a '05 Santa Fe (funny....I too had a '94 Ford Explorer before!)

oNce the breakin was over, my milage improved to 24 highway...18 city with a

3.5l engine Len
Reply to
Krazy Kanuck

The 3.5 has an electronic throttle. Depressing the accelerator simply activates a sensor under the hood. The computer controls everything from there. It'll probably take a little time to become familiar with its idosyncracies.

As for the fuel economy, I don't know that it will improve. We've had many complaints about fuel economy on the 3.5 Santa Fes. I've never been able to find anything conclusively wrong with any of them. I replaced an oxygen sensor in one of them because the values looked a little funny, but the customer was still getting poor fuel economy.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I also do not know whether fuel economy will improve.

This I do know - that powertrain combo is used in some other Hyundais and Kias. It is a nice, smooth and responsive powertrain, and seems to be able to handle whatever is given it. It also seems to have given VERY few problems in its years of operation (since about '01 or '02).

But one thing this powertrain has never been is very fuel efficient. I've had this powertrain combo in two different vehicles - one was an '02, and now I have an '04. The '04 is decidedly better than the '02, and I love it in my vehicle. But I will never jump for joy over its fuel economy.

But I will gladly keep running it and running it and running it - as long as I keep the timing belt replaced. It is one of the most impressive powertrains I have ever had.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I experienced something a bit different from the way you are describing it with my 2005 3.5L Santa Fe.

The car would either hesitate when the gas was depressed or surge as if I had tromped on it. The dealer reprogrammed the ETCS and this fixed it. I believe these is a TSB out for the problem as well.

Could that be what you are experiencing?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

It's more mechanical in nature (and yes, I realize its an electronic accelerator). The problem is that the pedel is very "stiff" (for lack of a better word) when I first begin to apply pressure to it with my foot. Rather than giving way gradually and smoothly, it "breaks" in that it just suddenly gives way. As a result, acceleration is also sudden and jerky from a dead stop. I can overcome it with effort by stiffening my foot and ankle muscles so that the pressure I apply is even and compensates for the sudden give by the pedel.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

What was it like before the break-in?

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Since I got superior fuel economy from a substantially heavier 10 year-old vehicle (with 154,000+ miles on the all-original hardware) with a larger, more powerful engine I'm forced to conclude that either there IS something wrong with my Santa Fe or its drivetrain is very poorly designed/constructed.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

what do you expect from an SUV, didnt you do ANY research BEFORE you bought it??? maybe you be better suited with a horse and buggy... then you wont have to WHINE about your fuel mileage... I own a 2006 Santa Fe.. LOVE it dont care bout the fuel mileage because I knew what it was BEFORE I purchased it...

Pete...

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

I know that UseNet is the home of ignorant knee-jerk reactions, but the level of stupidity behind them never ceases to amaze me. Yes, I did research before I bought. What I expected was mileage at least approximating the EPA estimates as well as what the company itself touts. I also read many reports from owners (like those above) describing much better mileage than I'm seeing. There is absolutely nothing in any of my posts to suggest otherwise.

So, in short, trying giving those two brain cells that are desperately clinging to a lonely existence on the inside of that otherwise empty skull of yours some exercise before shooting off your ill-informed mouth next time.

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

Well, I checked some of your other posts in this group and found that this really isn't about anything I said. You're just another belligerant, mouthy jag-off in general:

- "go pay another 20K and get yerself a REAL 4WD then and quit yer bitching... asshole..;-) "

Reply to
WuzYoungOnceToo

WuzYoungOnceToo wrote: :: I experienced something a bit different from the way you are describing :: it with my 2005 3.5L Santa Fe. :: :: The car would either hesitate when the gas was depressed or surge as if I :: had tromped on it. The dealer reprogrammed the ETCS and this fixed it. I :: believe these is a TSB out for the problem as well. : : It's more mechanical in nature (and yes, I realize its an electronic : accelerator). The problem is that the pedel is very "stiff" (for lack : of a better word) when I first begin to apply pressure to it with my : foot. Rather than giving way gradually and smoothly, it "breaks" in : that it just suddenly gives way. As a result, acceleration is also : sudden and jerky from a dead stop. I can overcome it with effort by : stiffening my foot and ankle muscles so that the pressure I apply is : even and compensates for the sudden give by the pedel.

Nah, never had that filling on my 03, cannot remember mpg during break-in, but it was baaaad, after second tank of gas start to improve, now I get

20-22 in the city, 24-26 in the hwy, if I keep the hwy speed under 65 then it goes up to 28, but no fun at all. 03 XL 3.5/5Auto.
Reply to
Victor A. Garcia

not the one WHINIG about my gas mileage. YOU ARE...;-) did your mommy throw you out of the sandbox too early in life?? ;-)

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

making friends all over I see.. hmmmmmmmmmmmm makes ya wonder dont it???

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

You might have something sticking then. I'd ask the dealer to look at it again and make sure they understand you have an issue with the pedal sticking when begin to apply pressure. Could be either the cable or the mechanical dealie to which the sensor attaches.

Reply to
hyundaitech