375 HP 4.6L Genesis email sales campaign

Just recieved a Hyundai email touting the new Genesis. Guess like SUV's they've built them, now they have to try to sell them, vroom vrooom, ......................Doc

Reply to
Dr.Colon.Oscopy

Yea, I just got a similar email from them touting that the Genesis can go from 0 to 60 in the time it takes to read this sentence. Who gives a flying crap? I want to sloooowly accelerate past a few gas stations, not stop at every one!!! 375 HP. Come on Hyundai. I wrote to them and told them that they are crazy and should line up their marketing research department and either fire them all or shoot them all. I sent the same letter to Kia. Now I know a few of you (no names necessary) will say that as long as you have the money to afford the gas you'll drive anything you want but you have to admit that it's nuts to boldly introduce exactly the opposite of what MOST people want these days.

Reply to
631grant

Yeah you're right. Scrap a project that's almost finished. I'm sure they took your well written, smooth language letter and posted it right in front of the marketing group. Mean while Lexus, BMW, and Infinity are getting ready to go out of business.

Clay

631grant wrote:
Reply to
frijoli

I understand your frustration. But in Hyundai's defense, this "appeared" to be exactly what America wanted just a couple of years ago.

I was wondering when there would be "enough" horsepower, etc. And while indeed what one drives is nobody elses business, technological incremental improvements through the years have been focused either towards more safety or more power, and not towards better gas mileage. That changed literally at the snap of a finger, and the auto makers are scrambling big time to catch up, because few apparently saw this coming.

Indeed, just a few months ago, I picked up a "new" year old small car (actually a Kia Spectra) that had just been sitting on the dealer's lot. I got an incredibly good deal on it to "get it off their lot." Now just a few short months later, they are able to command pretty close to full price for every small car they have, they are in such demand.

But my point is that demand only materialized rather recently and made both cars like this and huge SUV's (at least for people who don't need them for towing, etc.) rather obsolete.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If I follow the logic correctly, then we should be able to steal the Genesis and get took for the 4 cyls?

I agree, it was what America wanted awhile ago. With the fuel prices where they are now, you can't touch a 3-4 banger. My Sonata sits in the garage and we use the missus' Jeep for now. Hank- sound familiar???

Where's my Yugo?

Reply to
Steve R.

Yea but you know, even the V8 version is producing 27mpg... not bad eh?

Just saw it on the cover of Car & Driver.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Allow me to correct myself. It's 25mpg for the big 8cyl... still a notable accomplishment for that much horsepower, and better than I get on my 6cyl Chevy Equinox.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

I can live with 25 mpg. I get 27 on my 08 Sonata SE!

Reply to
Steve R.

Believe it or not, my 04 Impala (which is a full size car) delivers 30 MPG almost all the time (on highway driving, which is about 90% of my driving)... and has NEVER delivered less than 26 in all town driving.

I'm not that crazy about the car, but I keep hanging on because it's large with a big trunk (I'm a salesmen) hasn't caused me any mechanical headaches, and has mileage as good as anything available, especially for the size.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

You must keep in mind the Genesis is not for everyone. It's for the few that can afford the high $35-$45 initial price, and those who are willing to trade off 25mpg for high level comfort and performance. Obviously the Genesis is not for you. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Becoming a bit less subltle then that a these days wouldn't you say?.....................Doc

Reply to
Dr.Colon.Oscopy

Actually it could have easily been for me until the recent spike in gasoline prices.

With that now appearing to be a permanent change, I'm seriously thinking about a VW Jetta Diesel, which when driven right in great conditions can actually produce 47 MPG and there's no batteries to worry about.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Or, for the same cost per mile, a 37 mpg gas powered car. That additional buck a gallon more for diesel really sucks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Diesel is only 50 cents a gallon higher in my neck of the woods, at the most

  1. Even with the increase in cost, the longevity of a diesel and with many owners reporting 50 mpg makes it second only to the Prius (based on an article I just read at an automotive site).

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Here in CT we get hosed on taxes. Diesel was a buck higher but is now 90¢

As for longevity, many do last much longer than gas engines, but some have proven to be less reliable over time. I don't know about the TDI. VW does have a lot of experience with them though. Remember the Rabbit? You could always tell the diesel from the black soot up the back end.

I'm wondering if the Prius owners will be a happy bunch in five years as the batteries start to fail. Or what the resale value of one at that age will be even if otherwise in good condition.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I lloked it up yesterday out of curiosity. 8 year battery warranty, $3000 to replace. I was surprised at the life until I read that they never fully charge or discharge the cells to achieve this. Probably why they void the warranty if you modify to plug them into the wall at night. Google it if you are interested.

nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

That's the same thing I'm wondering about Prius owners... what WILL you do when the batteries start to fail??? I've read something recently that suggests eventually (and soon) a "lease" option will be available for the batteries. The article also pointed out that even when the batteries are no longer useful in the car, they still have over 80% of their usable life remaining, and could be used in a variety of applications. But it didn't say what those applications could be.

Based on everything I've read over the last few years, the VW TDI is so clean it even exceeds California requirements... produces virtually no smoke or soot unlike the diesels of old (including my 1984 MB 300D) and offers quick starts and few problems in cold weather.

I plan to go check out the new 09 version at the dealer tomorrow. They're taking orders, but won't commit to a delivery date, only saying, come drive the one we have on the lot (which is loaded with advertisements about being green and high mileage).

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Did that 8 years also have a mileage limitation?

Willy

Reply to
Willy