recommended car parts supplier.

My wife?s car (2017 Skoda Yeti) needs new rear disks and pads.

Obviously lots of on line stores for this kind of stuff but I?ve never used any of them. Any recommendations?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mick's garage.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks. Any particular reason for recommending them over other traders?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A friend found them when buying parts for his Fiesta, he has time to find the best deals and they have been consistently a good deal. Service was good when he mistakenly got a Mk VI part for his MK V.

Another one that I have used is Autodoc GmbH, posts from Germany and it takes longer for the parts to arrive. Seem to have more than one web portal.

If you need it real quick then eurocarparts if you have one close by. But I once used click and collect for a cam cover gasket for a Kalos. It said they had 2 in stock. I drove from my brother's in Calne to Swindon, to be told they couldn't find them.

Reply to
Peter Hill

ECP pricing has gone a bit nuts lately. The online prices are far cheaper (once you add the discount codes and whatnot) than the prices you get on the phone, so always do a C&C. It's also worth looking at their ebay store as often the bits are cheaper there than buying from ECP direct.

is run by ECP but delivery-only, without access to the branches.

ECP is a 'computer says no' outfit: they refuse to look for most parts without a registration/make+model. If you want something generic like a rubber exhaust hanger it's very difficult to find them without inventing models it might fit.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I've used Mister Auto a couple of times - seems fine, arrived as promised and keen prices. And ebay, but only for low risk stuff. Got some large rubber washers used to seat the air box on my Audi (old ones perished)- about a quarter of the next best price, so I was braced for disappointment. In the event they were badged and packaged Febi-Bilstein and seemed identical to the factory original.

It's a lottery with them, with weird stock and pricing arrangements. I did get a battery from my local a couple of years back. I can't remember precisely what happened but it involved checking online for stock, getting there and finding it wasn't available, walking out the shop and ordering and paying for it online, hanging around for a while, then walking back into the shop to pick it up.

Reply to
RJH

Are you looking for parts only, or a garage to to the entire job?

If the former, look on Ebay for a brand you know and trust like Brembo. Most of the car part sellers also sell on Ebay, and with the likes of ECP often at a lower price than you'd get at the counter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Sometimes large bulky/heavy items might be cheaper directly from Eurocarparts. Register and you'll typically get a voucher code to get a modest discount, though they've started to advertise the voucher on the website itself. Sometimes you'll have to wait for an offer to come through.

I tend to get known brands and avoid Eurocarparts noname, or their own name items. Crossland Filters was a respectable brand. It isn't now and owned by guess who.

My experience of branded parts is they're often not much more expensive that their own.

As Dave says, they sell a lot through eBay. They also trade through their sister website/eBay ID, carpartsforless.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thought I?d ?man up? and DIY it. ;-)

Thanks. Might do that. Need to find out the brand of callipers first. Seems that different brands have been used.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Many UK Ebay sellers will check the parts for you against the vehicle VIN. Or may even state which VIN they are for in the ad details.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

My mate in the trade (who is very hot on "research") uses ECP a lot.

Reply to
newshound

Do you need a special tool to wind back the calipers ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Dunno yet. More research needed. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If it has rear disks and no separate mini-drums (saab) for the handbrake, then you do need to use a special tool to wind back the calipers. It can be done without one, see Youtube for videos.

Reply to
Andrew