99 accent heat

can i change my thermosat so the car will make more heat quicker?

Reply to
Jody

In terms of changing to a different temperature thermostat, I don't know that you really want to do that, and I dare say certainly not in newer model years.

But on the (VERY GOOD) possibility that the aging thermostat is keeping the car from putting out anything near to the heat it should be putting out, by all means, put in a new one. Even if you put in a new one at the proper temperature for this car, it will probably work much better than the old one.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

There's a lever that chooses whether you're heater is getting air from outside the car or inside the car. When it's cold and you're just starting out, it will generate heat faster if you choose the "Air from Inside" option. Then switch to "Air From Outside" once the engine warms up.

Hope that helps!

PS I just got my car washed yesterday, then it snowed!

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

If the heat output has dropped off over the years you might want to get a system flush done, new coolant put in and a new thermostat. I know locally there is a rad shop that does the complete chemical flush for $39.95 (Canadian). Got my 91 Scoupe done in the fall and I went from having no heat to having to turn the fan off on some days cause it heats up just like it was new again. I just figured why bother putting a nice new thermostat in with possibly crummy old sludgy coolant and if I was putting new coolant in I might as well make sure the system is clean first.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Reply to
Jody

So it was your fault!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That sounds pretty normal to me for any car!

If the engine's cold, where's the heat gonna come from?

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Reply to
Jody

Reply to
Jody

Did you try blocking off airflow to half the radiator? I have done that over the years to many cars when It gets below freezing. The greater the temp difference the less airflow required to achieve suficient cooling capacity I have seen days here when I could not get the car warmed up enough to close the thermostat. That's assuming that the temp needle barely making it 1/2 way to it's normal operating point indicates that the bypass channel is keeping enough coolant flowing to hold the temperature at that point.

Reply to
nothermark