99 Elantra rear drum pad replacement

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to replace the rear pads on my sister's 99 Elantra and am running into a problem trying to get the top and bottom springs off. I'm trying with a needle nose pliers but as soon as they grip onto the spring, they slip off. I've tried to wedge a flathead screwdriver behind the spring but still can't get enough room to slip the pliers behind. Is there some special tool that I need or something that I'm missing here to get that spring out? Usually on my Hondas the spring is thick enough and there is enough room that I use a screwdriver that has a locking hook to get the spring off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I find it easier if I pull the wheel hub off. I can then pull the shoes loose enough to remove the lower spring and then use the park brake lever to push the adjuster out, loosening the upper spring.

Also, if you want, there is a brake spring tool which you would be able to find at just about any auto supplier.

Reply to
hyundaitech