Drum swooshing sound 99 Elantra

Hello everyone,

I replaced the rear shoes (Hyundai parts) on our 99 Elantra GL this past August. About a month ago I started to hear a swooshing sound while the car was in motion. I had a look at them a few days ago trying to play around to figure what was wrong. I took the drum and placed it half way in and rotated the hub. This is where it was making the noise. The car has about 110k miles, does it appear that I need to replace the drums? What else could be the problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

You may need a new wheel hub; the bearing could be worn.

"Nick" wrote: > Hello everyone, > > > I replaced the rear shoes (Hyundai parts) on our 99 Elantra > GL > this past August. About a month ago I started to hear a > swooshing > sound while the car was in motion. I had a look at them a few > days ago > trying to play around to figure what was wrong. I took the > drum and > placed it half way in and rotated the hub. This is where it > was making > the noise. The car has about 110k miles, does it appear that I > need to > replace the drums? What else could be the problem? > > > Thanks in Advance, > > Nick

Reply to
Hyundaitech

I hear the noise only when I have the drum on. If I take the drum off and spin the hub I don't hear it. Do the rear bearings make the same noise when they are failing as the front ones? If so the rear isn't making that kind of noise.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

When they?re worn, the rear hub bearings make a sound similar to the front.

If you don?t have the drum all the way on, it?s difficult to imagine that it?s rubbing the backing plate. My only other thought is that the drum is rubbing the shoes or other rear brake hardware.

"Nick" wrote: > I hear the noise only when I have the drum on. If I take the > drum off > and spin the hub I don't hear it. Do the rear bearings make > the same > noise when they are failing as the front ones? If so the rear > isn't > making that kind of noise. > > Thanks, > Nick > > On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:25:49 GMT, Hyundaitech > wrote: > > >You may need a new wheel hub; the bearing could be worn. > >

Reply to
Hyundaitech