Annoying noise

My 2005 Santa Fe has developed an annoying noise behind the dash.

It sounds a bit like a bee is trapped near the defrost vent and is buzzing around trying to get out. I've looked into the vent areas with a mirror just to be sure and didn't see anything. I also thought it might be a piece of paper or plastic caught in there that is flapping around. The sound only happens when the vehicle is moving. It was very faint at first (~2 weeks ago) but is getting louder.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Does the fan setting have any effect on it? If so, you probably have leaf or seeds in the air ducts.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Zeppo

It doesn't appear to vary with fan setting changes and doesn't stop when I turn off the climate control entirely.

I'm starting to think speedometer cable. Sound possible?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I tried posting yesterday, but it's still sitting there in my preferences, not yet posted.

Anyway, it's not a speedo cable. You don't have one. I've not seen this on a Santa Fe, but I did work on a GM product on which the tape was coming off the windshield moulding, making a buzzing noise when the car was driven fast enough. Check your windshield mouldings and the cowling for anything that might be loose and able to make a buzzing noise. Could even be a leaf.

Reply to
hyundaitech

hyundaitech, Thanks for the reply. I checked all the vents and around the windshield, and nothing is stuck in there or flapping around. I've been trying to localize the sound (which is fairly difficult as it only happens while I'm driving) but it does appear to be coming from behind the dashboard above the steering wheel.

Are their any mechanical connections back there that could be doing this? Tachometer, clockspring, etc.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

It's more likely that something is loose in your dash attachments. Has anyone taken the dash apart recently for any reason?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Nope, nothing has been disassembled.

I had the car in for inspection 2 weeks ago and asked them to listen for the sound then. They didn't hear it. It was very faint then and at that point I didn't realize it only occurred when I was moving.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I don't think you're going to get any closer to the source without a technician hearing the noise.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I think your right. I'll get it to the dealer in the next few weeks and let everyone know what I find.

Thanks for your help. Jon

Reply to
Zeppo