AUTO DOOR LOCKS '08 ELANTRA

My new ?08 Elantra doors do not lock after starting or driving a short distance. Took it to a local dealer that said it was a computer fix and they would do it for free. After fooling with it for almost an hour he said it couldn¹t be changed on an Elantra. Anyone else have similar problems with the ?08 doors?

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Problem?? Only if you are used to those annoying locks on the domestics that do that. Most of them reward you by not unlocking when you turn the car off.

To my knowledge, Hyundais and Kias have never done that. But since I grew up in a day and age where power door locks were rare, but I was taught to lock my doors, there is that little button on your console that is very easy to push. I use it every time as people are getting in, and then again back out. It just becomes a habit.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I can't speak to the Elantra, but both of my Sonatas lock pretty much upon putting them in any drive gear. Always have. My domestics have always done so to, and I've never had a problem with one not unlocking.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

My 07 Sonata locks at 25MPH. Neither the 99 nor 03 would auto lock.

Reply to
Partner

Hmmm, my 07 locks when I turn the key to start and unlocks when I turn it off. When does your unlock?

I'll have to read the manual to see if there is a changeable setting. I don't care about the locking part, but I'd rather have them lock when I move or, like my Buick, when I shift into gear. The locking is a minor annoyance if I start the car and then a passenger wants to get in as I have to unlock them, then I never re-lock so that defeats the purpose of auto-locking.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My '08 Elantra remains locked at shut down until the door handle is pulled

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Interesting! Especially when the manual for the 07 Sonata says you have to have the dealer change a computer setting (free) to get them to lock when the car reaches a specific speed. I told my dealer to set it at the lowest setting --- which turned out to be about 19 mph. Before that they didn't lock automatically.

Are you certain your 07 locks when you start the engine?

Reply to
DonC

Turn the key to "on" and they lock, off and they unlock.

I did have a remote starter installed so that may have changed things. If I start it remotely, the doors lock as one of the security things.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It unlocks when I open the door.

Reply to
Partner

Is that a new "feature" on the '08? I know that '06s and earlier Elantras didn't have it. Frankly, I hate that "feature" of my girlfriend's Passat and can't understand why anyone would want it. If I really want my doors locked, I think I can manage to push a button to do it.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Hyundai has a technical service bulletin describing the different automatic door lock settings on different models. It's TSB# 06-90-022. Unfortunately, it was printed prior to the '08 model release, so the information may not pertain exactly to newer models.

Here's what it says about the '07 Elantra, which I expect should be the same as your car:

-- Door locks can be set to automatically lock at 20 or 40 km/h.

-- Locks can be set to automatically unlock when the key is removed from the ignition.

Unless things have changed for the '08 model year, all cars come from the factory with automatic locking and unlocking disabled.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

"DonC" a écrit dans le message de news: MjXvj.40$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.phx...

I had this done on my '06 LX Sonata, the dealer had it set at 20 KMPH but when I start the car with the remote car starter, the doors lock when I touch the break pedal.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"Shaman" wrote in message

The remote starter may change the default. My doors lock when I start the car with the remote. I have to unlock them, put the key in the on position and as you state, when I hit the brake pedal the doors lock. If the key is not turned "on", the car dies when you hit the brake pedal. My remote was dealer installed when I bought the car so I don't know if it was different from the factory.

In any case, I really like the remote starter. In winter, I set the heated seat to "on" and if I anticipate frost, the defrost button is in too. In summer, just a minute or two can remove much of the heated air. I like to pamper my ass.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski