94 Auto Door Locks Not

My wife's 1994 Explorer XLT 8-cylinder is starting to get a little long in the tooth apparently. It recently clicked over the 150K mile when multiple things simply gave up their collective ghosts.

First was the fuel pump -- right _after_ I filled the tank. 17 gallons of premium unleaded down the tube.

Then there was the mysterious leak of radiator fluid that puddled under the middle of the chassis nightly. The mechanic was lucky enough to see the crack in the radiator from the return intake. When the engine was warmed up, it allowed the crack to open and a few drops would escape (not a massive leak) and these would travel like an animator's dream down the frame to the middle of the vehicle and exit onto the ground. The first guess was her water pump but Lady Luck was with us here.

Then the rear passenger window detached itself from the runner guide and we were forced to replace the entire mechanism, bushings and all.

Lately another part -- or parts -- have stopped working; the auto-locks on two of the five doors (hatchback being one of the non-operating offenders.) The driver's door is also no working and requires manually setting the lock and using the key to open said lock (since the keychain alarm won't unlock it.)

Is there a way of resetting the locks, hopefully purging the problem, or might there be some wires that have come loose or are the other doors doomed to failure sooner versus later?

Thanks for any ideas.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Sounds like simple age-related issues - it is a 24 year old vehicle...

As for the power locks they are actually controlled by relatively powerful actuators inside the door that physically move the rods that connect up the locks, handles, and plungers. They can age and go bad, especially if water gets in the doors (check the drain holes). You should be able to hear these actuators "clunking" when you push the power locks - if not then they are bad or a wire/fuse is to blame. Only way to know is to take the door apart...

Al

Reply to
Allan Williams

Allan.... Is there a chance you can come and work for our payroll department? I like the way you add....

Sorry, man... there was no way I could resist....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Whoops. C'mon, it's that new math I guess...

Reply to
Al Williams

A '94 with 8 cylinder engine?

Reply to
Bob

Yes. A 94 XLT V8. You might be wondering because the 4X4 wasn't an option until a couple years later due to too little space available.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

I've never heard of a '94 with a V8. Are you *sure* it's a '94 and not a '95? Got any pics?

Reply to
Ulysses

Then Ulysses asked again in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

You both had me questioning whether I was having a flashback from some memory-altering psychotropic so I checked the registration.

Imagine my embarrassment when I saw "1996" instead of the '94 I've been hallucinating... The 90's must've been real good because I don't seem to remember a lot from them nowadays.

Thanks for setting me straight.

The "Befuddled" Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger