Automatic headlights

The automatic headlights on my 2007 Sonata don't seem to come on soon enough. Does anyone know if its adjustable?

Reply to
Partner

The HMA service web site gives the specifications, but I did not see anything about adjustments.

IMO, the response time is a tad fast and the lights will go off and on in just seconds under some circumstances and yes, I'd like to see them on a little sooner at times. If it had DRLs it would be less of a concern. Oh, wait, we just discussed that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

missed the discussion, so this may be repetitive....why not just leave lights in "on" position......On when running, off with ignition off....poor mans DRL with added benefit of tail illumination...........ps is driver involvement a bad thing nowadays? Hey, I can still parallel park, guess I don't need that new offering that does it automatically.

Reply to
Darby OGill

Uh, because the lights stay on when you take the key out? I don't even get a ding when the lights are on to let me know I'll be killing the battery. Should I? My other cars will sound an alarm when I open the door, but my Sonata does not.

As for parallel parking, I used to be able to get into a space shorter than the car when I lived in the city. It is a skill that you start to lose after long periods of non-use. I bet I don't do it a dozen times a year now so I can't quite justify a $65k Lexus. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What year Sonata do you have? The headlamps on my 99 would go off, but keep the park lights on. Everything goes off on the 2003 and the 2007.

Reply to
Partner

I have a 2007. Parking lights stay on. Hmmm, maybe I should get that checked.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" a écrit dans le message de news:

7q0uh.12992$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net...

Sure do. The lights SOES turn off when your turn off the ignition. And I have DRl too. In Canada, by law.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:7q0uh.12992$ji1.3349 @newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

Yeah, get that checked. My 2006 and my neighbors 2007 both turn off the headlights with the ignition, and when you remove the keys, the parking lights turn off also.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

snip.......> As for parallel parking, I used to be able to get into a space shorter than

LOL survival in the urban jungle! I call that manuever "parking by braille"

Yup, I don't PP much anymore either. I had to do it on the left side (a bit different) of a one way the other day...."like a glove!" I don't think my teenage co-pilot has PP since her drivers test.

Reply to
Darby OGill

My Buick ( as well as many other GM cars) has a delay that keeps the lights on for a preset (and adjustable) time. Nice to have when in a dark situation. The interior lights come on when you remove the key also. I miss that at times, especially if I have a package on the seat or something to grab.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not adjustable. Sorry.

Reply to
Hyundaitech

The headlamps should turn off when you turn the ignition off. The parking lamps should stay on until the key is out and the door is opened, but should turn off at that time.

Reply to
Hyundaitech

Hyundaitech scribbled:

Just to clarify- Is this with the switch in the "on" position or in the "Auto" position?

For my '06 LX Sonata, the parking lights stay on in the "on" position even with the key removed and the door open. In Auto, everything goes off when the ignition is turned off. Parking lamps don't stay on at all.

Reply to
Don P.

"Don P." a écrit dans le message de news: Xns98C44CDC4B945dd72rcn@216.196.97.142...

I have a '06 Sonata LX and do not see "auto" position?? but the lights do turn off, even in the "on" position, when the keys are not in and the door been opened.

Shaman

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

Yes, HT, you are correct. It's when I open the door that the parking lights finally turn off, not when the keys are removed.

Eric

Hyundaitech wrote in news:969016 snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

Reply to
Eric G.

"Don P." wrote in news:Xns98C44CDC4B945dd72rcn@216.196.97.142:

Don, this is with the switch on the "On" position. With the switch in "Auto" the lights turn off as soon as the key is turned out of the "On" position.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I was referring to when the lamps switch was in the "on" position. When in the "auto" position, they should go out when the car is turned off.

Your situation has me questioning my knowledge now. I?ll need to try it on an appropriate Sonata when I get the chance. I wonder if it only applies to cars which don?t have automatic lamps.

Shaman: not all cars have automatic headlamps. I don?t know what features were standard and optional on the LX, but I?m guessing auto headlamps was one of the options.

Reply to
Hyundaitech

I have to do some more testing. I thought that was the proper scenario. The other day, I had the lights in the "on" position and left the car and the parking lights stayed on. Today, they did not. Maybe I did something different that day so I'll check again. I like the idea that the lights would go off rather than kill the battery. If they go off, there is no reason to have a warning buzzer, or course. I'd try a few things today, but it is too damned cold out there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hyundaitech wrote in news:969426_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

My experience has been that it doesn't matter if the car has the "auto" option or not. My car has it and my neighbors does not, and both function the same using the "on" position.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I had one of these in the shop today and tried it. The lamps did indeed turn off when the key was removed and the door opened. It doesn?t matter which order these things occur, but both must happen in order for the lamps to go out.

If the parking lamps are turned from off to on after those things have occurred, the lamps will then come on and stay on until turned off or the key is inserted in the ignition and removed again (and door opened, if not already).

"Eric G." wrote: > Hyundaitech wrote in news:969426_ > snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com: > > > > Your situation has me questioning my knowledge now. I?ll > need to try > > it on an appropriate Sonata when I get the chance. I wonder > if it > > only applies to cars which don?t have automatic lamps. > > My experience has been that it doesn't matter if the car has > the "auto" > option or not. My car has it and my neighbors does not, and > both function > the same using the "on" position. > > Eric

Reply to
Hyundaitech