AWD ix35. Replace all tyres at once?

I seem to recall that all tyres on any 4WD/AWD should be replaced together. Apparently to reduce wear somewhere along the line. Given the price of tyres for these vehicles is it
a 'preference" or a "mandatory"?. Thanks for info John
On 12/14/2017 5:51 AM, John wrote:

Yes, replace them all. Cost twice as much but you do it half as often that way. It can cause wear on the drive train. The new and old will be a different circumference. If you are in snow territory, this time of year you want the best possible tires too, not a couple of well worn.
With AWD it is common for the fronts to wear a bit faster so rotate them if you have not been.

This reminds me of a related tire question I had. I bought a new Elantra in 2013. The tires were pitiful. Two of them had to be replace after about 20k miles and the other two lasted to about 30k miles. Of all the cars I've bought new, these were the shortest lived tires I've ever seen. Roads were good condition.
I replaced them with no-name store-brand tires and so far have 45k miles on them with lots of thread left. Is that typical of Elantra tires?

Just a guess, but probably common. The 40,000 mile tires probably cost $1 more. Does not seem like it would be much, but when you buy a couple of million tires, it adds up. I've never had great miles with an OEM tire. I did get 30,000 out of the last Michelin on the car and could have squeezed more but was getting ready for a 4000 mile trip and swapped them out.