Clickety Clickety 2002 Sonata GLS 123k

I recently (past 2 weeks) started noticing a light clickety clickety sound coming from the engine. It does increase when the accelerator is applied. However, at idle, it seems the clicking sounded waxes and wanes, by that I mean it comes in and goes out. Could this be noisy valves? I'm at 123k+ in terms of mileage. Any thoughts?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Have you checked your oil level?

Help me out with year/model/engine. As it is, I don't know whether you have mechanical or hydraulic lifters.

Statistically, 123k isn't a lot of mileage on the main moving parts of a well-maintained engine.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundaitech,

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a peek at it on my break. If it's right in the middle, I presume things to be fine. If it is at less than 50% or greater than 50%, what does that indicate? I'm about 1200 mile shy of when my next oil change is due. And when I did last check the oil during my first noticing the clicking, it still looked good. I didn't look specifically at levels, sorry.

2002 Sonata GLS V6.

I am religious about oil changes and maintenance. I think the only thing I have not had done in a few years was a tune-up. By tune-up I mean 1) new plugs, 2) replace any worn belts, 3) fuel-injector "servicing". I had plugs (platinum) changed in Summer 2009. Though I don't know if fuel-injector servicing *really* does what they say it does. If it matters (and if memory serves me right), timing belt was first changed at around 72k. If you need any more specific info, let me know and I'll reply.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Ok, I went and took a look at the oil level and from what I can tell it's at the F mark if not *slightly* over. Oil doesn't look particularly dirty either.

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Your engine is indeed equipped with hydraulic lifters, but the fact that the oil level is okay suggests that isn't the problem. The noise could be coming from inside the engine itself or anything driven by the serpentine belt (or the belt itself). If you cannot locate the general area that's the source of the noise, taking the belt loose and then restarting the engine will tell you if it's from the belt or something driven by the belt. To check whether it's the belt itself, simply take some wd-40 or similar spray lube and spray a small amount on the belt while the engine is running. If this changes or stops the noise, then you know it's coming from the belt.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ah, ok. It's been a while since the serpentine belt has been changed so I will have my mechanic take a peek at it and replace it if necessary. If I try the WD-40 test, it should be on the top (smooth portion) of the belt or on the bottom (grooves)? Thanks kindly for your input!

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Just a little on each side. You don't know which side is causing the noise as both sides rub against pulleys. And remember, you're not trying to lubricate it away-- that won't work. You're just looking to verify whether it's coming from the belt or somewhere else.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Almost forgot to report back the problem. My mechanic said it's the lifters, not the serpentine belt. Realistically, I only hear the lifters when the car isn't warmed up. But he said next time I get an oil change to put a can of CD2 in there and I should be good. Does that sound like good advice?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

"Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" wrote

I never believed in additives, but it probably won't hurt anything, may help. Why wait for an oil change? I'd dump it in now. . With tapping lifters and a stripped oil pan, it may be time to think abut a new car. Or, just drive it until it no longer runs and let the junkyard tow it away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The lower oil pan with new plug ran me $40 shipped. That's no biggie. My mechanic will probably charge me $40 to put it in.

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)