Considering a 2006 Sonata 3.2 LX

Just found this newsgroup, and it seems to have lots of good info. So, I thought I'd ask for owner impressions of the 2006 Sonata. I'm considering the LX with the V6 3.2 Liter engine.

Are there any cautionary tales yet regarding this model?

Thanks!

Reply to
BRH

Jody

Reply to
marich2

I'm not that familiar with the GLS (vs LX). Was the moonroof part of an upgrade package that included the upgraded stereo system with 6-CD changer? If so, how much better does the upgraded stereo sound than the standard?

From what I recall, the GLS has most of the features of the LX except for leather seats and power-driver's seat. It sounds like you got a great deal at $19,999!

Best of Luck with the new car!

Reply to
BRH

We have the drivers power seat and suspension package. Its funny as we realized today another bit of a design challenge while we were out driving it. You cannot visually determine where the rear end of the car is from the drivers seat (bumper is about 3 feet from base of back window). All the rear view mirrors give you is rear window and rear outside door handles. A potential pain in the ass when backing. As I recall when doing our research it was mentioned that the Korean models (Asia in general?) have "sonar" sensors in the bottom rear bumper. Why would they have not offered them in US models I don't know.

Reply to
marich2

Rich is right on. I'd only mention 2 things - when the door is opened all the way, it's a stretch from the drivers seat to grab a handle to close it. The other is to try to, weather permitting of course, take a look at the exterior paint when it's sunny outside - the deep water blue, sparkles. Mikey

Reply to
mikey

BRH,

The 2006 is my second Sonata GLS. The first was a 2002 model. As for safety, Hyundai seems to be confident this car will score double 5 stars in the US crash tests. I suspect they are right. Word has it that they crashed 300 new Sonatas to tweak the design, structure, and technology. I find the ride to be very sporty with very little dive or banking around turns. I am seeing about 21 mpg city and have yet to take a road trip to check highway mileage. I read a report from one owner reporting 31 mpg highway mileage. I find the ride to be less smooth than my 2002, but still pleasant. I suspect the sportier suspension is the reason.

The new 3.3 liter V6, 235 hp engine is very smooth and fast. Car and Driver reports only a manual tranny 250 hp Altima can beat it to 60 or in the 1/4 mile (Accord and Camry can not). Some buyers will qualify for up to $2,000 in rebates on this car -- it's worth a test drive!

GeoUSA, moderator HyundaiExchange,

GeoUSA