Coolant change: owner's manual considered harmful

I just changed the coolant on my 2001 Accent, not quite according to the owner's manual instructions. The manual said to look up the capacity of the cooling system (about 6 quarts) and put in the appropriate amount of coolant/antifreeze after draining. You would then fill it with water to dilute the coolant. The manual did not mention that only about half of the expected coolant volume would actually drain out of the radiator. So if you put in the "obvious" 3 quarts of coolant, you would end up with overly concentrated coolant. Are people actually supposed to follow these instructions? (I used prediluted antifreeze.)

Another point of annoyance: how come neither the manual nor hmaservice.com tell you where the &$#@*!! drain hole is? It took me forever to find the knob that opens the hole. (Hint: on my model, it is a wing nut on the bottom corner of the radiator facing the passenger seat.)

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

All of the fluid in the radiator will drain. The fluid in the engine probably won't unless the engine is warm and possibly running. The drain plug is in the "standard" position. Most drain plugs are on the bottom corner.

Rob

Reply to
Rob