2004 corolla (1ZZ-FE) block heater

I bought a block heater from my local toyota dealer with the idea that it would be a quick installation. The paper that came with it says the hole for the block heater is located under the spark plug wire holder on the left side of the block, however this was with reference to a

1998-2000 corolla. After spending 45 minutes in a freezing garage I decided to call the dealer to ask for help. The guy said it was located on the rear of the block above the exhaust manifold. I search again and again but can't find where to mount it. The instructions say that I don't have to remove a cover or anything to see the hole. Has anyone installed on in thier car? Does anyone have one installed? I need someone to tell me where the hole is!

Any help would be appreciated, Once I find it I'll take some pics for anyone else who is thinking about installing one,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Gibson

Scott Gibson wrote in article ...

I think you might want to put your tools down, put your hands in your pockets where they can do no harm, and back away from the car slowly.....

Then, call the dealer and make an appointment to have the block heater installed.......correctly. You will probably save time and money in the long run.

The "hole" for which you are looking is non-existent at this point.

You "create" the hole by removing a core plug or threaded plug.

The block heater heats the coolant, and you must install the block heater so the heating element is immersed in the coolant.

You usually do this by removing a plug that opens up into the water jacket in the block.

If your cooling system had an existing "hole" in it, all your coolant would run out......

If you are seeking a simpler installation, you might want to consider a radiator hose heater with which you simply cut open the radiator hose (after draining the system, of course), slip the heater in series with the hose then tighten two hose clamps.

Any sort of cooling system heater is going to require you to at least drain the system, refill and - in some cases - bleed the system.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Race Car Chassis Setup & Dial-in Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

From the instructions provided it indicated there was no plug or threaded or otherwise. The block heater is a cartidge with a spring clip. To the best of my knoledge it does not physicaly come in contact with the coolant. I say this because there is no way the spring clip could cause it to be water tight.

Reply to
Scott Gibson

Also the technician from the dealer that I spoke with indicated there is hole exists in the block and is not covered.

Reply to
Scott Gibson

Scott Gibson wrote in article ...

slowly.....

If it simply clamps externally to the side of the block, you might be better off with a hose heater that actually heats the coolant.

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Reply to
Tony Hwang