Coolant leak..can anyone help a young chick?

Hi im really new to mechanical stuff. But i have a coolant leak. It only leaks when the car has been moving. Its not alot but its not the smallest amount either. I keep having to top up the overfill container (again sorry if these arent the right terms or sound stupidly uncomplex). When i look from the front of the car it looks like its near the drivers side wheel. Its no where in the middle. My brother is a plant mechanic and he thought it was just a heater hose and was goin to replace it. But wasnt sure if he could because its very different to his falcon, and i think the heater hose looks to far away from the leak. Btw my car is a Hyundai scoupe oct 92/93 (the first of the 93 model) nd im aussie:D If anyone could help me it would be appreciated alot. Thanks

Reply to
Azbenz89

It'll be much easer to find if the car is on a lift. From under the car, you can often see the source of the leak. Heater hose junctions with the coolant pipes are a frequent source. Also check the water pump. If you're looking from the top, you'll probably have the best luck inspecting with a telescoping mirror to enable you to see the bottom of the water pump snout.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech2" wrote: > It'll be much easer to find if the car is on a lift. From > under the car, > you can often see the source of the leak. Heater hose > junctions with the > coolant pipes are a frequent source. Also check the water > pump. If > you're looking from the top, you'll probably have the best > luck inspecting > with a telescoping mirror to enable you to see the bottom of > the water pump > snout.

Thanks Hyundaitech Bad news.Yesterday when I reversed it the coolant had leaked overnight. In a big puddle and I put a towel down afterwards, and a couple of hours later it was soaked. I got underneath the car and I can see something that a belt runs on and this is where the coolant is leaking, its dripping off it. But I cant see anything from the top. I suspect a water pump but really I have no knowledge of cars. Today or very soon I am getting it checked by a mechanic so i should no what it is soon. ....Hopefully

Reply to
Azbenz89

That sounds like a leak from the water pump. When you get it replaced, your mechanic should also replace the timing belt at the same time, and possibly the timing belt tensioner pulley if it's getting worn. Also any other drive belts that are worn, since all have to be removed anyways to get at the water pump.

I wouldn't recommend driving the car at this point, because you're losing way too much coolant, and you run the risk of overheating the engine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Jody

"Bob Bailin" wrote: > "Azbenz89" wrote in message > news:1_574893 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com... > > "hyundaitech2" wrote: >  > > It'll be much easer to find if the car is on a > lift. From >  > > under the car, >  > > you can often see the source of the leak. Heater > hose >  > > junctions with the >  > > coolant pipes are a frequent source. Also check > the water >  > > pump. If >  > > you're looking from the top, you'll probably have > the best >  > > luck inspecting >  > > with a telescoping mirror to enable you to see the > bottom of >  > > the water pump >  > > snout. > >

Yep its the water pump, and nah im not driving it. The timing belt was replaced in 2001...so it?d be a good idea to get it changed? as well as the others?? Thanks heaps guys :D

Reply to
Azbenz89

How much mileage have you put on the car since then? The timing belt should be changed every 60K miles.

" as well as the others??

Can't hurt if they haven't been changed in a while.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

"Brian Nystrom" wrote: > Azbenz89 wrote: > > "Bob Bailin" wrote: >  > > "Azbenz89" < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> > wrote in message >  > >

only 20 000k?s

Reply to
Azbenz89

Belts, even timing belts, are fairly cheap, so unless money is a real issue and you need to watch every penny, I'd replace it because it's been exposed to hot coolant which probably didn't damage it, but why take the chance? The other belts can be reused, because you'll know when they start to fail, and they're very easy to replace when they do.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin

"Bob Bailin" wrote: > "Azbenz89" wrote in message > news:1_576442 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com... > > "Brian Nystrom" wrote: >  > > Azbenz89 wrote: >   > > > "Bob Bailin" wrote: >  > >  > > "Azbenz89" > < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> >  > > wrote in message >  > >  > > >  > >

Ok the Water Pump has been replaced. The mechanic wasnt such a big fan of the car afterwards, and i learnt some new swear words :lol:. But yeh finally shes running good. It actually seems quieter too which is prolbly just me imagining things.. :? But yeh thanks 2 every1 who helped me :) "ALOT!" Cheers Anna. "You guys all rock! "

Reply to
Azbenz89