Coolant Leak - Help Identify Sensor

G'day all,

Long weekend in Canada - car springs a leak. Make it to the garage - power is out. Oh happy day. :)

My '99 Malibu (V6) has a coolant leak, and I'm not sure what the sensor is that it's coming from.

It only seems to leak when the motor is off at a certain crank point. At first I thought it was the water pump, because all the coolant had evaporated off the motor in the heat before I could take a closer look, then this morning I cranked it over after inspecting the pump (removing the belt and pully and reinstalling), and it started leaking again.

Jacked it up, and took a picture - can't find this sensor in my Haynes manual.

Here's a link to the picture - anybody give me a clue? It looks like it is right above the crankshaft position sensor - hard to see.

Help! Thanks!

Newsguy

Its not a sensor - its the block heater. Only in Malibu's do they leak. There's a trick to replacing them.

Long weekend in Canada - car springs a leak. Make it to the garage - power is out. Oh happy day. :)

My '99 Malibu (V6) has a coolant leak, and I'm not sure what the sensor is that it's coming from.

It only seems to leak when the motor is off at a certain crank point. At first I thought it was the water pump, because all the coolant had evaporated off the motor in the heat before I could take a closer look, then this morning I cranked it over after inspecting the pump (removing the belt and pully and reinstalling), and it started leaking again.

Jacked it up, and took a picture - can't find this sensor in my Haynes manual.

Here's a link to the picture - anybody give me a clue? It looks like it is right above the crankshaft position sensor - hard to see.

Help! Thanks!

Henri

No sh*t.

What's the 'trick'?

Thanks Henri.

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Newsguy

I don't know about Henri's diagnosis. I think its the intake manifold gasket - the most common of all the Malibu problems.

Reply to
Klinger

Henri is right, that's the block heater that is leaking. There is no particular "trick" to getting them out and back in, just very tight as you are working between the trans and engine and there is a brace that runs between the trans and engine that gets in the way. But it is do-able.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

On the 3.1 V6 engine you cannot access the block heater from the rear of the engine between the transmission and engine unless you have the car on a hoist. Even then its very difficult. Here's the trick. Jack the car up front passengers side and put on a stand. Remove the front passengers side wheel.You can now get easy access to the back of the engine between the transmission to the block heater thru the wheel well. You can pick up a new block heater and cord from Canadian Tire for about 15 bucks.( I replace mine last winter). Drain the cooling system. You will need to buy some dexcool because you will loose some when you pull the block heater. Remove the old block heater and put the new one in. Make sure that you lube the O ring on the new block heater and do not over tighten the bolt. Even though it is tempting to leave the old cord in place it is better to replace it. You will have to route the new cord to the right side of the engine compartment as the cord supplied with the block heater is too short to go around the left side. Remove the old block heater cord and keep it for a spare. Hope this helps.

"Newsguy" wrote in message news:LrOdnfjlp_NJ snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca... No sh*t.

What's the 'trick'?

Thanks Henri.

Cheers,