Corolla v Civic v Hyundai/Nissan moeds

IMO they've similar in interior space. A few months ago we drove to the airport in a Corolla and returned in a Prius. The Prius did have the advantage of being able to pile our luggage up to the back window, so you couldn't see out the window even the tiny bit that is normal.

I would never pile the luggage that high for safety reasons and would wrap a cargo net around the Prius luggage to avoid it coming forward in a quick stop.

I have read that the Prius mileage in cold winter weather is similar to the Corolla's.

Reply to
Josh S

If you keep a new car 10 yrs, as I usually do, depreciation is almost the same for most similar priced cars. Very little value after 10+ yrs.

Reply to
Josh S

Ok, I'm biased since I own 3 Corollas (one tho is a 1992 but in great shape). I won't get into which one is the best because of my bias but how can you go wrong with any of your choices? Even if you did, how bad could it be compared to your other choices? I say rather than beat your brains out, buy the Corolla (is my bias showing yet?) and enjoy it for 200,000 miles or more.

Reply to
observer

Based on other rechargeable batteries I would expect a significant drop off in capacity after 3 to 5 years. Since the Prius will still run anyway I'm sure the batteries will be run into the ground before replacement.

Reply to
Josh S

Oops that was a math error, so that drops your savings down to $4,000 in 10 years. Show me the data indicating battery packs fail in great numbers, at least as much as transmission and engine problems as hybrid cars have been on the road more than 10 years and some have over 300,000 miles on them. The other issue, is why would you want a low end car with a manual transmission, I would not even consider one. It would also have poor resale value? though not a major factor, but, unless you are going to drive the car into the ground, it has some bering. If you are comparing a car with an automatic trans, yes, you need to add the auto to the other....BTW. I did use the base Corolla for the comparison but comparing a stripped econo-box to a fairly well equipped car is the same logic people use when comparing the Honda hybrid to the Civic DX, sorry, like it or not, the hybrid is on par with the EX not the DX so, though you may be happy with a low end car, Hybrids are not and therefore the difference it owed to more than the cost of the hybrid system but the Hybrid may not be for you.

"Newbie" wrote in message news:120520082156269384% snipped-for-privacy@no.spam...

Reply to
Justbob30

Got a lot of opinions Josh, how about facts, the Prius will NOT run on a failed battery pack and cabbies have heavy feet, it is part of the job.....however, don't you see the contradiction in your two statements that the battery packs fail in three to five years yet they are usesd as high mileage taxies....of course you don't see that, after all, you have been told all of these things and after all drove a prius once admittedly overloaded. Oh well, this is the internet, these are things you have heard or read so of course they must be true fact.

Reply to
Justbob30

They're not.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Is no different than the cost of the traditional automatic transmission when it needs replacing.

And after 125K, a traditional auto trans will need replacing. It seems to be normal nowadays.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

: The other issue, is why would you want a low end car with a manual : transmission..

I was just pointing out that it is an option. If someone is comfortable with manual transmission (as OP stated) and wants to save money while still getting Corolla quality, he can.

I have owned manual and automatic Toyotas and never had problem selling either kind.

Reply to
Newbie

And as gas prices climb closer to $4/gal, small efficient manual transmission vehicles will be more desirable. I expect to see a premium on manual trans, small engine cars pretty soon in the US.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

As CVT's gain ground, the benefits of a manual transmission (in terms of fuel economy) fade. Most CVT's are either equaling or exceeding the mpg rating of manuals. I'm not ready to trust CVT's yet, and prefer to see them proven over time, but they do show promise.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Newbie" wrote

Most of the reason a manual Toyota Corolla still gets better mpg than an automatic Toyota Corolla is that the manual has a 5-speed tranny while the auto has a 4-speed one.

For other makes and models, and in the last five years or so, changes in auto tranny design have resulted in it often surpassing manual trannies when it comes to mpg, when comparing the same models whose only difference is the tranny.

Reply to
Elle

CVT's have been in common production since 1989, Subaru Justy & Honda Civic HCH how long do they need to be around before you can trust them?

Reply to
Justbob30

It's fine, as long as you sell it before the batteries need to be replaced. Toyota is very clever with the Prius batteries in the way they never discharge them very deeply, at least in the U.S. (in other countries there is a button that allow greater electric range by allowing the batteries to discharger more). This allows them to claim that they last a very long time, when in fact they are losing efficiency from day one. _They_ get to decide when the batteries are worn out. It's similar to how automakers define "normal" oil consumption to avoid having to repair oil-burning engines.

You're much better off with a Corolla than a Prius, unless you're driving huge amounts of miles (then you're better off with one of the VW TDI vehicles). I recently sold something on craigslist to someone that drove up in a new TDI. Since they don't sell these in California, I asked him how he got it, and he said that there's a dealer in Marin county that brings in slightly used TDIs from Oregon (I think they need

7000 miles on them) then sells them as used cars. Very high mileage and very good engines. VWs have good longevity, even if they have more initial problems.
Reply to
SMS

Also, the Prius isn't heavily discounted off of MSRP, while the Corolla is. There was brief period, after California gave out the maximum number of carpool lane stickers for hybrids, that Prius street prices fell a lot, but now with the higher gas prices they're back up.

Reply to
SMS

It's a little larger, though it's misleading because the cargo capacity is higher only if you pile things up so you can't see out the back! It's still closer to the Corolla in size than the Camry.

Corolla

-------

92.0 cubic feet: passenger compartment 12.3 cubic feet: cargo

Prius

-----

96.2 cubic feet: passenger compartment 16.1 cubic feet: cargo

Camry

-----

101.4 cubic feet: passenger compartment 16.7 cubic feet: cargo
Reply to
SMS

This is true, but the way Toyota does battery discharging, the _usable_ capacity will be about the same. They don't take full advantage of the battery, especially on the U.S. models (in other countries there's an option to do deeper discharge). All they have to do to get ten years of identical capacity is to slowly increase the discharge level to compensate.

Reply to
SMS

Maybe on some vehicles. I know a lot of high-mileage Corollas (>200K) and it's certainly not normal to need a new transmission, at least no one I know of with a high-mileage Corolla (or Camry, or Accord, or Civic) has ever needed one.

Where did you get the idea that it was "normal?".

Reply to
SMS

The newer automatics are so efficient that they often get higher mileage than a manual transmission in the same car. No one that drive extensively in heavy stop and go traffic is going to put up with a manual transmission.

Reply to
SMS

I don't think so. Can you explain that?

Clay