Dash lights stay on and kill the battery

I have a 2004 Sante Fe. Three times now I?ve come out from work to find the parking lights and dash lights on. The lights are turned off via the stalk and appear to be off when I leave the car to go into work. But, like I said three times now for some reason they go on and kill the battery. Anyone have any thoughts. I know they?re on because when I go to jump the battery and put the key in the ignition, presto, the lights are on. And again all the lights have been turned off via the stalk before I left the car.

Reply to
wtbbjb

I'd primarily suspect the switch itself. If the lamps are indeed off when you turn them off, it's pretty unlikely you'd have a stuck closed relay.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I don't think the lights are coming on, killing the battery, and then staying on after a jump. If I disconnect the battery in my XG350, wait a minute or 2, then reconnect the battery the parking lights and dash lights will be on and will stay on until the key goes in the ignition and the car is switched to "on". I always assumed this was one of the weird things Hyundai does. You might want to try it on your Sante Fe. If it does the same thing as my XG350, then something else is killing your battery...I'd start with an ammeter and measure how much current you are drawing from the battery when everything is off. Should be 10 to 50 milliamps or so.

Just an additional note: I killed the battery in my truck, twice, by leaving a dome light on. Have no idea how it happened, but it did happen, twice.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Reply to