drum brake nut pressed?

It appears this lead was posted in 2002 when I search for help, but I am still stuck. I have 2002 Hyundai Elantra 16K miles only rear right brake making a gunk gunk gunk noise when braking from 40 mph to stop. When I attempt to trouble shoot. I removed the wheel, and found the drum brake nut was pressed. Normally, I expect old design to be this: remove the wheel, found the drum holding by a nut, which is holding by a retainer cap with a cotton pin. Old procedure is to remove cottonpin, retainer, nut, and drum, to see the shoes. Now with this new design, the nut and retainer are one whole thing with the retainer pressed into the spindle slot without using cotton pin. Now how do I remove nut-retainer? I try many tools, hammer, punch , attempt to lift the pressed down metal to lift from the slot. No luck. How do the dealer lift it up? In the future how do I inspect brakes myself?

Reply to
philip5malin

The nut is soft enought that it should bend back out if you force the nut to loosen.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I do not understand what you mean.

  1. Do you mean if I turn the nut with a socket and rachet wrench, the pressed part is so soft that it will yield and press up from the slot and become unpressed? and the nut will turn?
2 Or do you mean if I use a flat screwdriver and hammer I can bent the pressed-in part of the nut-retainer to come out from the slot and then able to use a socket and rachet wrench to remove the nut? **** 3.Meantime I was able to remove the drum without touching the nut, by using a big screwdriver #7 to remove a retainer screw and a bolt metric size 7 pitch 1.0 and a socket rachet wrench to push the drum out of the holding plate and brake system. Thus the nut-retainer still machine pressed into the slot. The noise disappeared. It appears the Gurr-gurr- gurr noise may be from the wheel cover. ******* 4.Still please clarify how to remove the nut-retainer that is pressed onto the slot for the next time I have to do it. Thanks ***************************************************************

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
philip5malin

Sorry I misunderstood. You shouldn't remove the nut unless you're servicing the rear wheel hub or need to remove it for some reason, which, as you've already discovered, is not necessary to remove the drum.

You could use either method 1 or 2 from your post, but you may need something a little more significant than a regular screwdriver-- a punch may be more in line with what's needed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

thanks for the info. I agree that seems never or seldomly have a need to remove that nut-retainer. I will keep the info in mind. When I need to do it, I will use a big punch and lot of hammering force.

Reply to
philip5malin