Fiesta Mk5 hub nut

There's brake fluid dripping out of the rear drum but I can't get the hub nut off. There looks like there is metal bent around the nut. Photo here.

There's no split pin I don't expect a hub nut to be overly tight so I don't want to get too aggressive with it. What am I missing?

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Stevie

The lump of metal bent round the nut is a tab washer to prevent the nut coming undone. Peel it back and you can undo the nut.

TBH, if you couldn't work that out, I'm a bit worried about you working on brakes.

Reply to
Conor

its not a tab washer ! just undo the nut, they are tight !!! the tab that you see on the nut keeps the nut pieces together. do not peel the tab back, otherwise you will require a new nut, you might find the washer will come away as that is connected to the tab as well.

Reply to
reg

OK, Thanks. I wondered that, but it felt quite solid metal, and it didn't want to easily peel back enough to let the socket in.

Fear not. I should be OK. Things are only obvious once you know!

Steve

Reply to
Stevie

Looks like one.

It's a taper roller bearing as I recall, it shouldn't be.

If you don't take the tab off, you cannot get a socket on it.

Reply to
Conor

i second that. its how the nut is made, mondeo`s have the same sort

Reply to
aussie bongo

yes it is tight, torque wrench tight & you can get a socket if you use the correct size socket.

Reply to
reg

Oh, bugger, these messages have just downloaded since I wrote a reply to Conor! I've put a socket on it and leaned on it as hard as I dare. (the socket is a few sizes too big so I'm wary of rounding it off at this stage). I'll leave you guys to discuss it a bit longer. As I said in the other reply, If I do peel it back, there's no real space for it to go, so it will get in the way of putting the socket in...

Reply to
Stevie

steve get the right size socket, leave the "tab washer" on dont peel it back & get a breaker bar the nut will un-do and needs to be re-torqued when you have finished. what side is it ? im not in work mode at the mo, so i cant remember the side you are doing is left hand thread ?

Reply to
reg

Not a lot. You'll need the right size socket (28mm IIRC) and a lot of leverage 'cos it's bastard tight.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Bingo! It just needed more effort than I was expecting. It was the passenger side and it was a normal thread (I checked that!)

Cheers guys. I may be back tomorrow if the leaky brake fluid problem isn't straightforward. I'm hoping it will be a leaky slave cylinder, easily swapped and costing ~£5 like it was on my old Mk2 Fiesta 10 years ago...

Steve

Reply to
Stevie

Just undo the 4 bolts on the back of the hub & take it off that way as you can knacker the bearing when refitting the nut

Reply to
A C

They've gone up a few quid since then but that's likely given that=20 there's not a lot else that can leak fluid from there. Given that you=20 have a leak and the fluid can damage the shoe material, I hope you've=20 given some consideration to replacing them too? Obviously that'll need=20 both sides doing to match up.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick