Gas Pumping is stopping about 20 x /fillup 2001 XG300

Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden at various gas stations, the pump cuts off as if it was filled. This happens about

20 times per fill up. At the same time tonight, I noticed the parking break and battery warning lights came on and then off and then and then off maybe in 30 second intervals. Could the gas fill up problem be electrical? That makes no sense.
Reply to
Alan Calan

I've had the fillup problem on my '01 Elantra - exactly twice. I cannot imagine any possible way that the problem might be electrical, it's just a coincidence (and not that big of one given Hyundai's problems had not started to alleviate by 2001).

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

what about the parking break and battery idiot lights going on and it seems as the the gas pump stopping problem is happening all the time now.

Reply to
Alan Calan

Correlation does not imply causation.

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Have you been driving through mud recently? I have no idea if this is the problem you are having but a long time ago I had an econoline van that had the same gas pumping problem. It turned out that a gas tank vent tube that I think allows air to escape while the tank fills was clogged up with mud. After cleaning out the mud in the tube, the fill-ups went fine. And, "maybe" the same mud is caked around a parking break sensor and causing a problem there.

This is a long-shot, I know, but I htought I'd throw it out there just in case. I don't even know if the same type of gas tank vent tubes even still exist (I have a hunch that they don't).

Reply to
RogerT

This same problem was aired on "Car Talk" yesterday. The experts said it sounded like a problem with the emission system - probably a clogged vent.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Interesting. I like listening to the Car Talk radio show.

---MIKE--- wrote:

Reply to
RogerT

The car talk people are pretty much right on. Of course, finding the venting restriction can be a bigger task. If I had to guess on a car of your age, I'd suspect it's the canister filter.

The battery/brake warning lamps are unrelated. They're alerting you to an alternator that's not charging.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I just came home and filling up took me 15 minutes plus...so frustrating. So I decided to come on here and ask you all about it. Then much to my surprise someone already did and he had an XG300 just like me. What a conincidence! Then I was it was me. I forgot I wrote this and I haven't been back since September so I missed all the good ideas from Car Cash, you guys and hyundaitech. So thanks so much, you're all terrific. Well, I'm sure all of you aren't but most are! really thanks.

Tech, where is the canister filter and how hard is it to get too?

Reply to
Alan Calan

I have an 01 Tiburon with the same problem. Takes me 15+ minutes to fill my 12 gal tank.When I looked at the fill tube I saw a breather/vent tube that runs from about halfway down back up to outside the nozzle opening(inside the mouth). I believe this tube is obstructed in some way. This started about mid 09 so almost 8 years after I bought the car. I understand the thought on a clogged/obstructed vent as I considered the possibility that the tank vent clogged. I haven't checked either possibility, however, I don't see how the canister filter would cause this. Besides, wouldn't that cause a dashlight to activate?

Reply to
tim

The canister, filter, and close valve are all located at the left rear under the vehicle.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Whether the check engine lamp comes on depends on how the system is obstructed and how much it is obstructed. Presumably, if the level of vacuum in the fuel tank reaches too high a value during normal purging of the vapors into the engine, this should set a P0446 or P0449 trouble code on the Tiburon. But it's important to remember that there are two major differences between purge and refueling. First, the volume flow during refueling is much greater than during purge. So a partial restriction could be enough to cause fuel to back up into the filler neck but not enough to fail to allow sufficient air to enter the canister during purge. Second, during fueling, air is pushed out of the system, while during purge, it is sucked into the system. Depending on the type of restriction, it's possible (although not likely) that it could provide significant restriction only in one direction of flow.

Reply to
hyundaitech