help!!!

ok heres the story. i bought a 2001 hyundai accent 2 weeks ago its a 1.6 dual overhead auto. i knew there where problems w/ it but im willing to fix if i can figure out whats causing them.

the person i bought the car from drove the car to the garage after the timing belt snaped. after the new belt was put on the car sputters and stalls out. the only way to drive it is to drive with both feet. one constantly being on the gas. the engine is miss firing real bad. i have replaced the spark plugs, timing belt, wires, throttle position sencer. im out of options and i dont want to get rid of the car. some one please send me any ideas on what it might be. its driving me insane.

Reply to
sxylilaccent

overhead auto. i knew there where problems w/ it but im willing to fix if i can figure out whats causing them.

belt snaped. after the new belt was put on the car sputters and stalls out. the only way to drive it is to drive with both feet. one constantly being on the gas. the engine is miss firing real bad. i have replaced the spark plugs, timing belt, wires, throttle position sencer. im out of options and i dont want to get rid of the car. some one please send me any ideas on what it might be. its driving me insane.

More than likely, you've got bent valves that occurred when the timing belt broke. You may also have damaged pistons.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

dual overhead auto. i knew there where problems w/ it but im willing to fix if i can figure out whats causing them.

Yuk - hope you bought it real, real cheap

timing belt snaped.

No they didn't. You don't drive cars with broken timing belts. Think about it...

way to drive it is to drive with both feet. one constantly being on the gas. the engine is miss firing real bad. i have replaced the spark plugs, timing belt, wires, throttle position sencer. im out of options and i dont want to get rid of the car. some one please send me any ideas on what it might be. its driving me insane.

Why would you have changed all of those things? You have to quit throwing parts at this car or you'll have a brand new car on your hands that still doesn't run. Since it broke the timing belt, it's quite likely to have valve train and possibly piston damage. Even if you miraculously escaped those with a broken belt, it sounds like who ever installed the new belt might not have properly timed the cam to the crank. You've got a lot more to look at (and I suspect a *lot* bigger problems) than plugs, wires and sensors. Get the pocket book ready...

If this car really did break the timing belt as you believe, then I have to question the line about it going to a garage. No mechanic in their right mind would put a timing belt on an interference engine and send it out the door. Hell - no mechanic would put a timing belt or chain on any engine without tuning and testing. This sounds like something that was done in someone's garage - someone who had tools enough to be dangerous and not enough knowledge to be doing this kind of work. Hate to say it, but I think you got hooked.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

overhead auto. i knew there where problems w/ it but im willing to fix if i can figure out whats causing them.

belt snaped. after the new belt was put on the car sputters and stalls out. the only way to drive it is to drive with both feet. one constantly being on the gas. the engine is miss firing real bad. i have replaced the spark plugs, timing belt, wires, throttle position sencer. im out of options and i dont want to get rid of the car. some one please send me any ideas on what it might be. its driving me insane.

Mostly likely bent valves and possibly damaged pistons and connecting rods. Best case would be mistimed cam when the new belt was installed. You almost certainly need to have the engine torn down and overhauled.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

the person i bought the car from drove the car to the garage after the timing belt snaped

Reply to
Jody

overhead auto. i knew there where problems w/ it but im willing to fix if i can figure out whats causing them.

belt snaped. after the new belt was put on the car sputters and stalls out. the only way to drive it is to drive with both feet. one constantly being on the gas. the engine is miss firing real bad. i have replaced the spark plugs, timing belt, wires, throttle position sencer. im out of options and i dont want to get rid of the car. some one please send me any ideas on what it might be. its driving me insane.

Instead of randomly buying parts, spend $5 for compression gage. If you have

1 or more very low cylinders, there is probably damage from the broken timing belt. Valves get bent or chipped, piston crown broken, rings broken... not a pretty picture.
Reply to
Bob Adkins

Unfortunately, Mike, I've seen cars where mechanics have done just that-- replaced the timing belt, buttoned it all up, and sent the customer back out, all with the car running like crap. There are too many places out there that call themselves repair facilities when their employees have just enough tools and knowledge to get themselves into trouble.

As for the misfiring being caused by a mistimed belt-- no. It'll cause the engine to lack power or even to run very poorly, but won't cause a misfire-- it'll affect all cylinders equally. Of course, based on the o.p.'s post, I'm not all that sure it's actually misfiring, either.

Reply to
hyundaitech