Hyundai car making strange noise

I suppose, but these hubcaps have big holes in them, so I'm not sure how something could get caught in there, move around a lot, and not come out. Furthermore, there is more reason to believe this is not a hubcap problem (and so this test would just be a waste): sometimes I've heard the sound when the car is not moving, but idling. When it happens while idling, there may be, though I'm not sure, a correlation with putting it into/out of gear, for example shifting to/from park. And it doesn't happen constantly when it's moving either, just episodically. When it occurs with the shifting it's only like I think 1, 2, maybe 3 clicks (but they sound just the same and have the same frequency.).

Reply to
mike3

You need to turn it up and listen close at the times I mentioned. It's a fast clicking noise. I know, there's a lot of normal noise (engine running, road sound, etc.) in front of it. It's easier to hear when you're really in the car than in the recording.

Reply to
mike3

And it also doesn't always happen when changing gears, either. But sometimes it's been heard it at those times.

Reply to
mike3

Could you be a dear and leave usenet for those who don't slap respondants' suggestions back in their faces? I can't tell you how much I hope the noise is hubcap creep.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

I'm thinking it's a sticky caliper. Just did another set of rear discs on a GM with STUCK glides.

Anyone have a better lube for them? The stuff I'm using now is a silicone based grease made for the pins but it still doesn't last that long. The current method is to clean (or replace them if pitted) the pins. use a dowel to clean out the bores (a .30 caliber gun brush works REAL well) then solvent flush and air dry. Then a generous helping of lube and install the pins. Then a light coat of sealer inside the boot to lock it to the caliper mount and to the pin. I would think that water/air wouldn't be getting in there but I still get a couple that stick.

Reply to
Steve W.

I got some black stuff in little clear plastic tubes; can't remember name...too lazy to dig through my *kit* but for giggles, couldn't you just squeeze some silver-colored anti-seize into the pin guides? The same stuff we use on spark plugs. Takes the heat, just can't say how long it would stay where it should. Then in 30 days or so, see if you still have play in the calipers...maybe use a screwdriver to test, but remember the pads need to be compressed first. So have to remove wheel and tire to do that. Just an idea if you've got the time.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

That is important information you left out the first time. Doing diagnostics you follow certain paths of common problems. Noises when moving versus noises when standing are usually very different sources.

Given your mechanical abilities and aptitude, there is a fairly simple solution to the problem. Take the car to the dealer Monday morning. Trade it in on a new one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LMAO111

Steve in AZ

"MasterBlaster" > "clicking" or "creaking" noise while driving it. I recorded a sample

Reply to
Steve in AZ

Why do you think I'm just dismissing it? Rather I thought about it, and I weighed it in light of available evidence.

Reply to
mike3

And what about ones that occur during both?

But now that I *have* given the information, what would you suspect now?

Reply to
mike3

The internet can't help here. So far all I've gathered is there is a "clicking" sound sometimes. Maybe the dashboard is clicking when the sun hits it. Maybe this, maybe that. Or quite possibly this or that. Give up asking here and take it to somebody who can listen to it. What does your wife say about it? She might know. Every time my wife says "something's wrong with the car" I tell her she's crazy. Then a short time later I have to fix what was wrong. Still haven't figured that out.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I suspect you have no clue about cars. Buy a new one and it will be covered under warranty.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

mike3 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

*What* evidence? you didn't even try the only suggestion you've gotten. Ok, take the car in to a mechanic and have him change the entire front end. Cost you a couple of thousand, problably won't eliminate the sound, will take at least a week without the car, but at least you won't have spend 15 minutes removing the hubcaps and listening if the sound is gone.
Reply to
fred

And what about ones that occur during both?

But now that I *have* given the information, what would you suspect now?

Rather obvious now, this Troll has caught a lot of us. I'm putting him in my plop bucket.

Jim

Reply to
jim

"Steve W." wrote in news:h3tjba$qtc$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I don't know the specific setup you've got there, but if it's what I think it is, then the rubber boots may be fitting too loosely (old), or the grooves the boots sit in have corrosion in them.

On my car I've found Sil-Glyde to work the best for the pins, BUT it depends on the cleanliness of the boot grooves, and the tightness of the boots in those grooves. The rubber boots do expand with age, making them fit more loosely, allowing water in.

Reply to
Tegger

We don't have the money.

Why not tell me though what you would think, based on this new information? Or is it still not enough?

Reply to
mike3

My intent though is not to troll this group. But you won't believe that, I guess. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Reply to
mike3

Well I do know someone who is more knowledgeable with this but they were stumped. And we also took it to a mechanic at a car shop, they didn't know what it was either.

Reply to
mike3

snipped-for-privacy@c1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

The "evidence" is that the sound also happens when the car is not moving but idling, as I mentioned in another post here. I'm not sure how a hubcap could cause that.

Reply to
mike3

innews: snipped-for-privacy@c1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

For the sake of MY sanity, this thread is killfiled. but before I go, lift the hood and see if you can narrow it down to a slipping alternator/acon/water pump belt.

BY BYE !!!!!

Reply to
Nicholas