Hyundai car making strange noise

snipped-for-privacy@c1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

te:

I checked it, it seems tight.

Forget this group...

Reply to
mike3

e, I

It's a family car and the rest of the family doesn't agree on doing this hubcap thing, for the reasons I've given.

Reply to
mike3

sight unseen, sound not heard, it is impossible to diagnose

Reply to
Nicholas

There are a lot of good brake greases available. I'm currently using a purple colored Permatex product (brush in cap style) that may actually be relabelled Ceramlub. Its visible properties and performance seem OK but it's too early to tell at this time. If you are in NY, then you just have to suffer the consequences of nasty weather and salt (if used). I would suggest on caliper bores that aren't corroded, you don't brush them or their pins, but clean and dry with solvent/swab/whatever. There's no reason to abraid the corrosion resistant coating if it is still working. On corroded parts you have to wire brush or replace. The rubber components are usually the culprit when a pin gets corroded. If you replace them with the typical aftermarket boot kit you will probably be in for more of the same as they are often thin, distorted junk compared to OE. They barely hold up here in mostly decent weather, I can't imagine crappy boots standing a chance in the N.E.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Antiseize isn't a terrible thing to use on sealed slide parts, but it isn't ideal or recommended for this application. It isn't quite the lubricant that silicone/ceramic products are and it doesn't seal out, shed or adhere in moisture as well.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Okay, thanks for the Tip, MTD. I'll keep using that brake grease that I buy in little tubes then. I find one little tube will do two calipers/anti-squeal shims. I would hate to go to all that trouble only to find the pin slides *dry* from seepage or some such.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Yep, upstate NY. Never heard of nasty weather here...;-) Salt? OH you mean "corrosion accelerator"..

I currently use Permatex Ultra silicone. Seem to work OK but I wondered if anyone had a better lube. Normally I just flush the bores with solvent and dry them. Pins get cleaned and burnished or replaced if pitted. If the seals are intact then I clean the grooves and apply a thin coat of permatex sealer to hold them secure once installed. I see the same thing with the aftermarket crap.

Reply to
Steve W.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by (or how do you go about) burnishing the pins?

Thanks.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

able, I

So you couldn't hear in the recording? Did you turn it up loud enough and listen for the chittering at the times I mentioned?

Reply to
mike3

Use a fine wire wheel to get any crud off. Then clean the groove real well. Then the pins get hooked to a mandrel (high tech - cut off bolt that will thread into them) Then I use what is basically a flat knife steel to smooth them out. Takes about 30 seconds to do each one. They are smooth then.

I've been thinking about buying a couple new caliper mounts and seeing if they can be bushed with a bronze or stainless sleeve.

Reply to
Steve W.

I see. That's going pretty far but I like your methodology and perseverance :-)

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

I HATE sticking calipers!!!!

Reply to