Hyundai car making strange noise

Hi.

We have a Hyundai Accent GS car (2001) that's been making this bizarre "clicking" or "creaking" noise while driving it. I recorded a sample here:

There's two instances of the noise in this clip starting at about 0.8 and 2.3 seconds. You may have to turn up the volume a little and listen close as it seems to have gotten more drowned out in the recording than it is when listening with the ear.

What could be causing this? It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger quadrant of the car, maybe the wheel area, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
mike3

It's from the enginetrannysuspensionbodyhoodaxlebrakestrutdoohickey. Don't worry, all Hyundais do that.

Actually, it's almost impossible to tell what the noise is just from a recording. I'd have to actually drive the car at different speeds, over different terrain (smooth, bumpy, rough, etc), speeding up, slowing down, turning left, right, braking and so on.... to try and narrow it down to the most likely causes. Then it's back to the shop, up on the hoist, and start prying and twisting parts to pinpoint the noise.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

On Jul 15, 10:53=A0pm, "MasterBlaster" > "clicking" or "creaking" noise while driving it. I recorded a sample

And that's the rub. It doesn't seem to correlate with anything specifically... it happens on smooth roads, rough roads, at different speeds...

Reply to
mike3

Does your accent have hub caps?

And that's the rub. It doesn't seem to correlate with anything specifically... it happens on smooth roads, rough roads, at different speeds...

Reply to
jim

Yes it does have hub caps, but I'm not sure how that would be generating the sound.

Reply to
mike3

My diagnosis:

If it didn't make strange noises, it wouldn't be a Hyundai

As long as the wheels turn in the proper direction when you want them to...you're getting your money's worth.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

Yes it does have hub caps, but I'm not sure how that would be generating the sound.

I've had cars years ago that had sounds from poor fitting caps. They do move when the weight is shifted or the wheel is turned and stressed. Be sure they are on tight.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have had cars with hub caps that somehow got a small stone in them. That would describe the noise you describe.

Also as said by someone else - be sure they are on tight.

Yes it does have hub caps, but I'm not sure how that would be generating the sound.

Reply to
jim

In Fact remove the caps and see if noise disappears.

Reply to
jim

You can listen to the recording I provided. Did you do that?

Well they don't seem to be loose.

Reply to
mike3

Well they don't seem to be loose.

Many things are not as they seem. You asked for help, you were given suggestions from real life experiences, you don't thing they are viable. I can't speak for the others, but I don't care if the car screams, clangs, or whistles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sorry Mike, I also subscribe to the alt.support.hardofhearing newsgroup, so no, I did not listen to the recording. Wouldnt do me any good without closed captioning.

Just trying to assist here. I suggested you remove the hub caps and see if the noise disappears, if not then I can be of no further help to you.

You can listen to the recording I provided. Did you do that?

Well they don't seem to be loose.

Reply to
jim

If I didn't think it viable, I wouldn't have even bothered to look at it. What exactly am I supposed to be looking for? I tried wiggling it with my hand and I didn't notice anything weird about it. If I didn't think the suggestion viable, then I wouldn't have done that. If my "test" was done wrong, then how should I test it right?

Reply to
mike3

Take them off and see if you have the noise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

some people should take the bus.

TAKE THE HUBCAPS OFF! Can you do that??? Then, DO IT and report back here if the *noise* went away.

Thanks a lot.

Nick

Reply to
Nicholas

, I

Well yeah, but I thought the first check would be to feel if they're loose. If they don't feel loose... But I could still give it a try anyway.

Reply to
mike3

Why is this such a problem Mike?

There could be a small rock in one of them too.

Geez

Well yeah, but I thought the first check would be to feel if they're loose. If they don't feel loose... But I could still give it a try anyway.

Reply to
jim

A buddy who knew nothing about cars called me one day and asked me if he could come over to check what he called "a serious problem" with his car. Think it was a late 70's Cutlass, with a 350. Nice car. He insisted I take it on a Florida vacation once, and I did. Said he was "embarrassed" when pulling up to a light and the noise would make people look at him. Problem was week old. He comes over and we get in the car. He pulls out and I can clearly hear clanging in his right front. Has to be in the hubcap. I tell him to pull over - we only went 10 feet, and popped the hubcap and a lug nut with broken stud falls out. Told him to take it to a tire shop and get the stud replaced. He was glowing with happiness and thought I was a genius. I didn't hear Mike's sound file, so I can't say. Won't hurt to look. But I've heard a million other car noises compared to one time something was in a hubcap. Have heard noisy hubcaps though. Usually fancy ones where something gets loose.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I know it might be something else, and probably is, but wouldn't you want to try the easiest and cheapest fix first?

Reply to
jim

I said it wouldn't hurt. I listened to the sound file and didn't hear anything really. So my advice is to provide a better sound file or take it somebody who can figure it out. Never heard a noise that can't be located pretty quickly. For lower speed stuff running alongside the car can help pin it down quick. I like the recorder idea. Might tape it to different parts of the suspension and the louder it gets the closer you are. Or a good front end man and a rack might tell the tale real fast. But I have absolutely no idea what the noise sounds like so I can't recommend anything beyond what I said.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith