Installing Power Steering on 2001 Base Accent

Hey there,

Live in Canada, and recently bought a 2001 Accent. Excellent car, except I didn't think that not having power steering would be such a problem. I have a soft tissue injury in my left wrist which is aggrivated every time I need to park or turn right on a red. As it turns out the base GS Accent Models in 2001 did not come with power steering and the cheapie guy I bought it from paid for many other upgrades but not this one.

Anyway, is this something that can be installed after the fact if I bring it into a dealership? Would it be expensive? Or am I pretty much hooped?

Reply to
Ninja

Jody

Pump up your tires to the max marked on the tire that should help.

Reply to
mikee

Make sure it's not from a car that had any damage up front where say a car hit it on the front tire which would have done some damage the the steering rack itself.

East-

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

You'll need to replace the steering rack and install the pump, all lines, the reservoir, brackets, and a pulley. All in all, it probably takes enough time and effort that it's better to get another car.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Umm, those of us old enough to learn to drive before power steering became generic learned to only turn the steering wheel when the wheels were turning. Muuuch easier then. If you learn to do it then you will save tire wear and wonder why folks need PS. (Most don't but the dealer does needthe $$).

;-)

Reply to
nothermark