Power Steering Fluid for 2003 Liberty

Hi,

I went to a dealer today to pickup a bottle of power steering fluid for my

2003 Liberty. I was told from the part department that my jeep uses the same fluid for both Automatic Transmission and Power Steering, so I ended up with a bottle Mopar ATF+4.

I check the owner manual when I got home and notice the recommended fluid for Power Steering Reservoir is "Mopar Power Steering Fluid (MS-5931)".

What's up with that? Did the guy get it wrong or the fluids are actually interchangeable?

Thanks

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Never mind. Found this TSB in case someone else interested.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steering - Power Steering Fluid Usage

NUMBER: 19-005-03

GROUP: Steering

DATE: Aug. 29, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 19-007-01, DATED AUG. 2, 2001, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT: Power Steering Fluid Usage

MODELS:

1993 - 2003 (AB) Ram Van

1994 - 2004 (AN) Dakota

1994 - 2002 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup

2004 (CS) Pacifica

1998-2004 (DN) Durango

2002 - 2004 (DR) Ram Pickup

1996 - 2000 (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

1995 - 2000 (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze

2001 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Sedan, Stratus Sedan1 Sebring Convertible

1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible

2002 - 2004 (KJ) Liberty

2002 - 2004 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)

1993 - 2004 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker/300M

1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Voyager/Caravan

2002 (PG) Chrysler PT Cruiser (International Markets)

1995-2004 (PL) Neon

1997 - 2003 (PR) Prowler

2002 - 2004 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser

2001 - 2004 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2001 - 2004 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1993 - 2002 (SR) Viper/Viper Coupe

2001 - 2004 (ST) Sebring Coupe/Stratus Coupe

1997 - 2004 (TJ) Wrangler

2003 - 2004 (VA) Sprinter

1999 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee

2003 - 2004 (ZB) Viper

2004 (ZH) Crossfire

DISCUSSION:

The factory fill power steering fluid for most 2004 model year Chrysler Group vehicles is ATF+4 (MS9602) and it provides superior performance at both low and high temperatures. WJ/WG and ZH vehicles use unique power steering fluids. Refer to the table to identify factory fill and the approved service power steering fluid by year and model. Note that MS9602 is Red in color and MS5931 and MS9933 are Amber/Yellow in color. All three fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

The part numbers for MS9602 are 05013457AA (quart) and 05013458AA (gallon). The part number for MS5931 is 04883077 (quart). The part number for MB345 is

05127381AA.

MS9602 should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on systems requiring MS5931. On some past models, MS9602 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a power steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with MS9602.

NOTE :This bulletin supersedes owner's and service manuals for the vehicles listed above that may state to use MS9933 in the power steering system, and that may state not to use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system.

Ron

Reply to
tim bur