Is this supposed to happen?

2008 Hyundai Elantra. When I close the trunk, the tail lights flash. When I close the hood, the parking lights flash. The owner's manual
says nothing about this. ????
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 16, 5:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

By any chance have you locked your doors via the remote while the trunk or hood were open?
Add pictures here
✖

That's it! If the doors are not locked the light doesn't flash. With the doors locked it does flash. What would be the purpose of this? (The doors can be locked using the switch on the door to do this also).
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 17, 8:34 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

The flashing of the lights is tied to the alarm engaging, not the doors locking. Normally the alarm engages when you lock the doors from the remote, but it can't do that (for obvious reasons) when the hood or trunk is open. So instead, it waits patently for all the car's openings to be secured, and engages the alarm at that time.
(Now of course, on my Elantra, the alarm doesn't go off when the trunk is opened, so I'm not quite sure why it bothers to wait for the trunk to be closed.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks Matthew. I wasn't aware that my car was equipped with the alarm system (I bought it used with 11300 miles. It had been a rental car). Apparently it does have the alarm system.
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖

This may have been a change made with the 2007 redesign. I know 2001 to 2006 do not monitor the trunk for alarm purposes.
Add pictures here
✖
hyundaitech wrote:

On my 2009 Sonata
open trunk get out of car and shut doors lock car with key fob close trunk tail lights flash (could not see if parking lights flashed also but suspect they did)
Larry
Add pictures here
✖

I'm not sure if it was a misunderstanding at all, but the lights also wait until I close my trunk before flashing, so it is being monitored. It's just that the monitor is only used to engage the alarm, not to trigger it. That's what baffles me.
Add pictures here
✖