Dealers not dealing

I went out today with a friend to try to buy a new Hyundai. We went to 3 dealers including one that I have bought 2 Sonatas from in the last 5 years. They are not dealing at all. They would basically take the list price (sometimes the invoice) and subtract the rebate and try to sell it at that price. No amount of haggling and counter offers could get them to budge. We did get them to go down another $400 when working on a 2009 Elantra. We went from 2010 Sonata, 2009 Sonata, 2010 Elantra to 2009 Elantra. They just didn't want to sell at all. I am used to getting a least 2K plus rebate off of the invoice. We stopped by a Toyota dealer and without any haggling he got an offer to buy a Corolla cheaper than the Elantra. The Camry was almost the same price as the Sonata. He's owned a Toyota before and I think he's probably going to wind up with another one. I think they sold so many cars during the cash for clunkers that they are not very hungry. They didn't have very many 2009s left, the C4C pretty much cleaned them out. Has any one else run across this problem, I'm wondering how long this is going to last. If its permanent, I may have to look elsewhere for my next car. Anyone got a good deal in the last couple months? Does anyone know how the Manufactures' incentive (dealers payback) program works? I figure that the dealers have already hit the numbers they need for the max incentive payback for this year. Maybe it will reset at the beginning of the next year.

Reply to
Partner

At this point there are probably not a lot of '09s left. I bought an Accent a month ago (just after the C4C nonsense ended) and got a very good deal, although they had to get it from a dealer app 200 miles away to find the car I wanted. Google Hyundai September Sales to see how sales dropped (or not) compared to August. I think it is fair to say that the dealers are still hungry for sales. What area of the country are you in?

Reply to
Raoul

Baltimore/Washington D.C.

Reply to
Partner

Check fitzmall.com. This is a fixed-price dealer, so you won't be able to negotiate, but I send people here to get an idea of current market prices. If you can beat their price, consider you've received a good deal in the current market.

Right now, many dealers are low on stock after C4C, so they're careful not to undervalue their product. Once supplies go back up, their prices will come down.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Go to

Tell them what you want to pay and let em come to you.

Reply to
Real Man