NY TIMES: Critiques 2005 Cousins Sportage & Tucson

copyrighted by the new york times 2005

.=2E.I would be remiss if I did not mention that the Sportage has a doppelg=E4nger in the new 2005 Hyundai Tucson. According to Hyundai, this is exactly the same vehicle from a mechanical standpoint, though with distinct styling. To my eyes, the Tucson's exterior looks as if Hyundai went to great lengths to create the most utterly generic design possible. Inside, the look is more conservative than the Kia's as well.

While I was less impressed with the Tucson, the one I tested was a front-drive model. Make of this apples-to-oranges comparison what you will.

The Tucson is an entirely adequate vehicle, if a bit less interesting than its Kia cousin. The same thing could be said for nearly all the car-based compact S.U.V.'s on the market. As a class, their similarities are greater than their differences - I could just as easily stick with recommending the tried-and-true CR-V as make a case for the Equinox.

Really, I'd rather go back to talking to my friends about sports cars. But since Kia predicts that the market for compact S.U.V.'s will double within a year, I don't see that happening. I suppose I can expect to continue answering the question until everyone I meet owns a small S=2EU.V. For the time being, I'll tell them that the Kia Sportage is the vehicle that's come closest to awakening my desire to drive one - and hope that yearning remains dormant.

INSIDE TRACK: An answer to the question everyone is asking.

Subscribe Today: Home Delivery of The Times from $2.90/wk.

Reply to
Robert Cohen

I find it amazing that the Sportage is a very dangerous car. I have witnessed 6 of them that do 360's getting on a freeway into the guardrail & one chick hit an 18 wheeler headon when she spun the other way & she was in bad shape..........

So if a Tucson is the same, then I stick with my Santa Fe which I feel extremely safe in including guys trying to carjack it...........

Robert Cohen wrote:

Reply to
theawesome1

It seems like they could just shoot you through the side window. Why do you feel "extremely safe"?

John Cowart

Reply to
bo peep

And thats somehow the sportage's fault? Cars don't magically lose their forward direction without being influenced. RWD vehicles with bald tires tend to lose direction easily under hard acceleration.

The new Tucson/Sportage is about as closely related to the pre-redesigned Sportage as your Santa Fe is.

Old sportage was (primarally) RWD, built on top of a chassis onpar with your average compact pickup truck - therefore a 'real SUV'. If all you want is a top heavy station wagon with noisy tires, the Santa Fe/Tucson/Sportage is fine.

And yes, we own *two* XG wagons, errr, Santa Fe's... I just don't attempt to fool myself into thinking they're something otherwise.

JS

1992 Explorer XLT 2WD/4.0/Auto 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 CC/SWB/2WD/5.2/5 speed 2000 Nissan Frontier 2.4/5spd/2wd - RIP, totaled 2001 Santa Fe GLS 2.7/FWD 2003.0 Santa Fe LX 2.7/FWD
Reply to
Jacob Suter

Anyone would be nuts to believe one thing the NYT puts in print. The Times is a totally unbelievable anti-American rag.

I find it amazing that the Sportage is a very dangerous car. I have witnessed 6 of them that do 360's getting on a freeway into the guardrail & one chick hit an 18 wheeler headon when she spun the other way & she was in bad shape..........

So if a Tucson is the same, then I stick with my Santa Fe which I feel extremely safe in including guys trying to carjack it...........

Robert Cohen wrote:

Reply to
RJ

Ah, something in the Times about a KOREAN auto makes it 'anti-American. This was written by an automotive writer from Detroit if I 'member correctly.

Let me guess, to you anything not from an extreme right fascist viewpoint is either liberal , unpatriotic or anti-American........

I recognize this type of thinking, I was having a discussion with a sister-in-law about abortion and I was labeled for taking 'completely opposite' beliefs as she held ..................when I patiently explained that NO the 'completely opposite' belief as her would be that I believed that ALL woman that got pregnant should be forced to have an abortion her eyes glazed over , way too much thought process involved for her to deal with.

Michael

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger." -- Hermann Goering

Reply to
Michael

You should, you obviously have the same kind of thinking except from the other side of the isle. This person has the right to have any opinion about anything and not be CORRECTED by you. That is American. In my opinion, the NY Times is very Liberal and has an agenda. I am not extreme right wing.

As Bill O'Reily says, "What say you?"

Reply to
Numan