POLL: How long do you think the 10 year Warranty will last?

I think it will be gone in about two years. Just won't be necessary anymore from a Company Standpoint. What do you all think?

Reply to
jtees4

IMHO it will be around for a while because it has become a core part part of the company's brand identity.

As Hyundai has been moving up I have noticed other manufacturers testing out longer waranties to encourage sales. The latest is Ford offering 5yr/60k mile powertrain on all 06's

Reply to
art.obrien

No doubt that Hyundai and Kia used it in the beginning as a marketing ploy to get people to notice their products as up-and-comers in a crowded marketplace.

But as they have been making quality gains, it has become more of a symbol of what they can be. It remains a powerful chip to use against cars that have, maybe a 3/36000 warranty.

In that sense, there will be a lot of heat if they try to drop it. Indeed, what this most recent poster said makes it clear that this strategy is affecting the other car makers.

It wouldn't make sense for the warranty to take a step down when they are forcing everyone else to take a step up.

Just FYI, the local Hyundai/Kia dealer now has occasional sales where they put 100,000 mile warranties on ALL their cars, new and used, regardless of manufacturer. Those are the companies biggest volume weekends.

It works. No one in their right mind would try to drop something that works (or would they??).

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Who cares? It's available now, which is all that matters.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

When Hyundai indroduced the 5/60--10/100 program, they intended for it to be temporary. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go away in about the same period as the OP suggested. But, as has been pointed out, if it becomes the industry standard, they'll be pretty much forced to keep it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Why drop it if they are able to maintain their quality and price? You should look into some of what Malcom Baldrigdge preached and the Asians bought into. Total cost of ownership is cheaper to build something right the first time rather than pay for service over the usefull life. Many folks understand that. Detroit ignores it at their peril.

Reply to
nothermark

Because it carries the stigma of the cars being low quality if they need a warranty that long to sell them. Remember, that almost all extended warranties like that have been instituted by car makers who were having quality problems (Chrysler with their original 7/70 plan and Hyundai and Kia when their stuff was junk).

People tend to associate long warranties with low quality as backward as that seems logically!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Chrysler used to have the 7/70 thing, I bought two Chryslers during that period. Now I own two Hyundais...so I guess I like the ideafew months to a year. If they dropped the warranty it might affect my decision.

Reply to
jtees4

Just an additional note...with the Chrylser you NEEDED the 7/70 warranty. No issues at all with my 03 or 05 Hyundai Excel GT's.

Reply to
jtees4

Do people actually associate a long warranty with poor quality? I can see where some may think that, but I bet they're in the minority. Although I'm speaking strictly from a personal perspective, and I'm certainly no student of automotive history, I've always thought longer warranties make for better cars, for a few reasons.

I think most people look at it from the manufacturers' perspective: If they build a crappy car and put a long warranty on it, they're losing money... no company is going to do that.

On the other hand, if they build an average car and put a long warranty on it, they'll break even and both parties will share the headaches of vehicle ownership.

The best thing for everyone is the offer of a very long warranty. Why? The manufacturer must be confident that their car will stay out of the shop, because otherwise they're on the hook for repairs for a long time. Everyone wins: the consumer gets a good vehicle, the manufacturer makes a good dollar and a good reputation, and the warranty is there for peace of mind even though very few need to use it. The only person who loses is the shop guy/gal (sorry hyundaitech)... although they probably could keep busy with work that doesn't fall under warranty, like accidents and modifications and so forth.

If the warranty is transferable, it would also help keep resale and residual values high.

The worst are the short warranties... because then the manufacturer doesn't care if their product winds up in the shop after 24-36 months with a pooched transmission... it isn't their problem.

I agree that some may take the view that a long warranty is a sign of poor quality, but those same people probably still believe in the tooth fairy and/or the earth is flat. :)

Tim

Matt Whit> > > >

Reply to
NotBloodyLikely

I associate it with manufacturers that stand behind their cars.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

The highest quality cars (Toyota) have fairly short warranties. Also the cars that hold their resale value best (Toyota) have fairly short warranties. So you won't buy a Toyota because the warranty is too short?

I look at it as the warranty only matters if a car has marginal quality. With a Toyota, I wouldn't even care what the warranty was.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I associate it with manufacturers who need to! I'd rather have a Toyota where I don't have to worry about it. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I really don't think Toyota's & for that matter Hondas are really that great today! We all saw what a mess the new camry transmissions were... I think Bob has a point, Longer warranties just show the confidence a manufacturer has in his vehicles!

Reply to
Vineeth

Sorry, history doesn't support that. Long warranties have always (I can't think of a single exception, can you?) been offered by manufacturers' who were having quality problems and needed a marketing ploy to overcome that.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Interesting that you say that. Everyone I have told about the Hyundai warranty looks at it as a statement of quality from Hyundai. Perhaps they recall that the Rolls Royce warranty was something like the life of the owner. Perhaps it is a question of knowing the offerer. If Ford or GM matched Hyundai tomorrow they would be looked upon with suspicion, if Honda did it would be a recognition of their quality.

;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Funny you should mention that, as it is one of the reasons that we purchased a Hyundai instead of a Toyota. (I do know people who have had problems with Toyotas, they are not quite as magical as some people seem to believe.) Other reasons would include overall value for the dollar, plus I frankly do not feel very comfortable purchasing big-ticket items from a country which attacked us within living memory. (My barber, who served on a destroyer and dodged kamikazes at the battle of Okinowa, does not drive a Toyota either.)

Reply to
pdp11

Well, if Hyundai's boss died and appointed you head of the corporation, what would YOU do Matt?

Would you offer the worst warranty in the business to prove your cars don't need it? I bet THAT would bring customers in droves. :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I guess my Snap-on tools are just pure crap! Damn that lifetime warranty!

JS

JS

Reply to
JS

The topic is cars for ... the reading impaired.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting